Agnostic.com

9 1

Modern Satanism

Just curious on Atheist and Agnostic views on Satanism.

ZoeZzonbie 5 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They seem to have more morals than many "good" Christians.

CS60 Level 7 Dec 2, 2017

There are so many variation's on Satanism. I really liked Anton LaVey. His philosophy was not too shabby. Xstian versions of Satanism are interesting. I haven't studied this in decades, so I am sure I will be off, but hopefully the main points will be cohesive. He began as the 'Tester Of Faith' to the Hebrews, and now he is great for movies and Evangelicals. Did I leave anything out?...hehe

Just another imaginary friend

Satanic Temple co-founder and leader Doug Mesner, aka Lucien Greaves, "What we were fighting against was that one perspective enjoyed the power of state government... In regard to our atheism, if you have a society that grants religious privilege and exemption and you’re willing to give privilege and exemption to certain groups, then it’s unacceptable to give that only to people who believe in the supernatural. We are openly atheist but we have cultural identity and symbolic constructs that are deeply meaningful to our members. There are other atheistic religions in human history, from Jainism to Buddhism to Confucianism."

*Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, world views, ethics, and social organisation that relate humanity to an order of existence. -wiki

*The Principle of Adverse Inclusion is an excellent way to test whether a policy or practice is neutral or devised to benefit a particular religion.

[salon.com]

FAQ

DO YOU WORSHIP SATAN?

It is the position of The Satanic Temple that religion can, and should, be divorced from superstition. As such, we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan. To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse.

DO YOU PROMOTE EVIL?

The Satanic Temple holds to the basic premise that undue suffering is bad, and that which reduces suffering is good. We do not believe in symbolic “evil.” We embrace blasphemy as a legitimate expression of personal independence from counter-productive traditional norms.

[thesatanictemple.com]

Satanic Temple Forces Phoenix City Council To Ban Prayer At Public Meetings. While Councilman Sal DiCiccio warned that creating a moment of silence gave the Satanists a “big win,” claiming that the group’s ultimate goal has always been to ban prayer at council meetings entirely: "This is what that Satanist group wants. A moment of silence is basically a banning of prayer. It’s to agree to the Satanic goal to ban prayer.”

[patheos.com]

thank you very much for your answer. it is very much appreciated.

Satanism, to me, is still a religion. I love their eleven tenets.

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

by Anton Szandor LaVey
© 1967

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

Do not harm little children.

Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

I only have one use for the Satanists...they scare off the Christians.
The Satanists like to challenge Christians when they try to erect their 'holy' monuments on public land.
When some Christian group wants to put up the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn, the Satanists insist on having equal space under the law to put up their own statue of Baphomet right next to the Christian one.
Most of the time, the Christians would rather put up nothing than have a Satanic statue next to theirs.

Oklahoma right?

@btroje There and some other lesser known ones.

Satan doesn't exist

I believe in evil. I am not sure of its personal name

When it comes to Satan, I'm agnostic 🙂 Satan is right "up there" with "The Monster Under the Bed".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.