Agnostic.com

10 1

My position is this; atheism is a rising tide no less disturbing as theism, and just as 'wrong.'
It is ideology, and if it took over the world (dubious) it would be as destructive.
It is understandable the extreme backlash to orthodox thought. However, how is atheism any different? How would the result be an improvement?
With every reaction there is an equal or stronger reaction.
Agnosticism is outside it. It. It takes no position.
That's where we all should be.
I say that with all due respect..
As any empire has supplanted another, were their crimes any different in magnitude over time than the one replaced?

Storm1752 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Omg i can't even read the rest after the first few lines

i hate it cuz i wnted to engage and get a good chat going but u are very off the mark

all be it thats my opinion but i need u to understand no belief in a god is nothing more than just that!

faith is not a reliable pathway to truth

write that down

give ur head a shake too aight 😉

Omg

u may be more delusional than one of them there bible luvers

perhaps u are ignorant to what atheism actually is

get with the times hun

If I don't believe in Santa or Bigfoot would that also be destructive to the world? Preconceived notions of how people SHOULD BELIEVE in something unproven is dangerous, and that has been proven over and over again.

I can see how I might have offended some in an unintentional way.
The gist of my remarks I leave intact.
I'll leave it at that.
Sorry.

Huh? Atheism is non-belief. Like saying rejecting a fallacy is as harmful as believing a lie. You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree.

No Agnosticism is non-belief in ANYTHING, including non-belief. I think it's therefore more radical than atheism.

@Storm1752 Atheism is literally "without belief". Agnosticism is likewise "without knowing". So pure Agnosticism is open to the potential of leaning towards either end of the gradient, as many neutrals are in lieu of pertinent information. You could be an agnostic theist and admit to not knowing for certain whether divinity is real, but still skew towards the perspective that it potentially is. Agnostic Atheism.... """" yadda yadda. Curious to know why you think a dominant lack of faith is ultimately detrimental. In what extremes could it harm society?

@summatyme Let me put it to you this way:
It's the wonderment of all of it.
It is not being a theist or an anti-theist, it's experiencing life as it is, without belief, including anti-belief.
Doing so, we can open ourselves up to reality, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BELIEF OR UNBELIEF, IT JUST IS.
So when Agnostics say they don't know, it's not just a denial of the obvious, it's also an opening up to all the possibilities. When we say we don't know, we're also saying anything is possible, within of course rational limits.

@DangerDave Dave, you posted this link three times on this thread. I read it the first time. Just because some lunatic arsonist burned down a church, and an atomic whirl was found, doesn't mean there's some terrorist movement of atheists. That Atheist group condemned it. I don't belong to Atheist groups. My atheism is my personal disbelief, I don't want to be part of community atheists. That's almost as bad as belonging to a church. People on this message board shouldn't verbally abuse religious people but they are asking for it. They are only here to troll. I don't go on some Christian platform and tell them what bullshit their beliefs are. If I did that, I deserve to be verbally abused. Just saying.

@summatyme I've re-read your reply and I just want to add we are not on the belief "gradient.' Athiests and Theists are on that fictitious 'gradient ' It doesn't apply to Agnostics. We have opinions, we theorize, open to anything not ruled out as impossible.

@DangerDave I doubt that there is a organized terrorist group of Atheists. Some retarded gorilla from Mississippi, the home of retarded gorillas torched a church, thought atomic swirl is cool looking so he left graffiti. That hardly means Atheists are out to burn down churches. Atheists just don't believe in God, that's all. That's me anyway.

@DangerDave I don't care how other people think, I KNOW what I think. I don't care if people disagree, that's their opinion, which they're entitled to. Am I right? I think so. Does it matter? Nothing matters.

@DangerDave I promise won't burn down any churches. If that newcomer is trolling, I can't make any promises.

Ohferpetessake, are any atheists on your porch? On TV demanding your money? Threatening you with Eternal Damnation? You sound paranoid, just STOP!

Atheists on my porch? No.
Theists? I've gotten really good at lying.
I was trying to break a logjam among friends.
Ask yourself, Anne. What IS the truth? No clue? Exactly.

@DangerDave huh, you act like I give a rat's ass about your, or anyone else's opinion.....hahahaahaaaahaaaa!

@DangerDave then why oh why do you continue to post like I do? Cognitive dissonance, much?

You need to calm down, friend. Your brand of agnosticism is becoming obnoxious. Fortunately not all agnostics feel like you.

I'm just tired if laying down and rolling over for all the 'badass' atheists that pollute this site. If you disagree with me, I'm not saying all Agnostics agree with each other. This isn't a church. There is no Agnostic Bible.
The irony is I'm taking a stand for not taking a stand.

@Storm1752 I could make the same claim about "badass" agnostics, like you, attacking atheists, but this kind of bickering is pointless and I'd rather focus on attacking religion. You want to consider that a lot of this is in your mind, seriously.

@David1955 Not to be flippant but I'm only 'attacking 'belief systems,' not opinions.

@Storm1752 @DangerDave

To attack. Transitive verb
Definition 2:
To criticize strongly or in a hostile manner.
An expression of strong criticism; hostile comment.

Like you guys on atheism, see.

@David1955 awwww, is yer poor widdle feelings hurtie? "Violent"??? When, where , who, pray tell

@AnneWimsey no I was correcting the false implication by these two jokers that "to attack" only means to physically or violently attack, which I'm sure they knew but of course any excuse to misconstrue an atheist's opinion. If you read the thread that's the gist of it.

My position is that the difference between agnostic and atheist is negligible, over-hyped, and silly.

And I could not disagree more emphatically.

@DangerDave ohferpetessake, the similarities (questioning/vs. rejecting "diety" ) are far more similar than opposed. Trying to foment more divisivness, nowadays? Shame on you!

Exactly. In the last year I’ve gone from saying I’m an Atheist to an Agnostic. Personally, however, my god is Tao. Zen instructs me to not sweat the minor details.

Thank you. Much appreciated
I gather you believe as I do there is balance in our own heads, and karma has it's place as an interesting concept.
Those who BELIEVE in only chaos and nihilism may be right, but even if right, they are wrong. If I think I'm right,
Why do some people believe in something so in violation of the 'natural order' in every way, in violent revolt destroying any hope for happiness, because they disagree with the ignorance of their elders? So they should over-react and say EVERYTHING is wrong?
I'd rather be wrong and happy, than miserable and right. But my attitude is there's a balance, because regardless of the 'truth,' happiness in this life is all we can hope for.
WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TRUTH IS!
We were dropped down here and we'll leave without a clue. STOP trying to claim you have the truth or the anti-truth and have fun with it.
'God' has nothing to do with with anything except concepts or anti-concepts in your mind..

@Storm1752 That's the conclusion I've recently come to.

Thanks for you stupid ass opinion on something you clearly know nothing about.
Have an enchanted evening luddite.
I say that with all due respect..

Stupid? Why do atheists get to say anything at all and because of sheer force of numbers get away with it, but Agnostics proffer and opinion and get massacred?
Luddite? Apparently on this site, 'Agnostics.com?' Atheists.com is more like it. Do you even know what an 'agnostic' is?
Agnostics get precious little say. Well, I'm sick of it.
And your respect for me is gratifying and returned in kind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.