Agnostic.com

3 8

An old memory popped in for hello.

Growing up, my father was an atheist (now theist). He would tell my sister and I that there were no gods or monsters, only people. Though he did say that Satan was real, and that he was it. Luckily we had the privilege of being Satan's daughters. Something we would joke about to friends.

He was also a firefighter/paramedic (now retired). He drove his personal vehicles the same way he drove his ambulance-- like the roads were created specifically for him. Should anyone disagree, they would naturally face with the structurally intimidating superiority of his V6 caravan, with all of us flopping about like marbles in the cargo bay. The turbulence of an airplane would be jealous.

If we should ask where we were going while he drove like a bat out of hell, his answer was almost always: "To heaven if we're careful". Then turn to us with a crooked grin and laugh, maniacally. Our objections to this answer as insufficient were always overruled. "Heaven" was someplace exciting that we would just have to guess about until we arrived.

If we made it to our destination safely (and that's a big IF), we were rewarded with trinkets from the sweets and toy shops. Which, looking back, was an obvious wink for us to stay quiet about any acquired bumps and scrapes to someone else back home who Satan apparently feared.

A bag full of tootsies and mallows were enough to keep our lips sealed.

Thanks for the laughs, dad. I still keep the number to my therapist close by in your honor.

summatyme 7 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's good to remember that dads are not
gods (or devils) but people, with all that entails.

Thankyou for the negative reENFORCEMENT imagery.... you're an excellent non-fiction writer... . We have had seat belt laws especially for children in USA over 50 years now....

Lol. My folks weren't very careful with a lot of things when we were children. Surprised we're still alive from half of it. They do much better with their grandchildren. Live and learn. Your tags are hilarious, btw.

@summatyme luv u 2 .... this is the great benefit of Atheist dating & community..... write now right now 2 liberate all Atheists from hell threats&heaven bribes....memeS are copies of old fashioned bumper stickers for sale at truck stops conventionS and ONLINE

Bizarre....he went from atheist to theists? What kicked off your memory?

I was at the park people watching.

He had lost his partner, a brother, a nephew, a cousin and a father within the same year. I believe it broke him in a way, and he would rather believe that it isn't the end for them.

@summatyme tough for anyone

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:567496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.