Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK 'The American Abyss,' Timothy Snyder's op-ed in the NYTimes is scary accurate, and pulls no punches

"Snyder convincingly explains how Trump co-opted the same type of tactics employed by Hitler and the Nazis in order to make “their” truth the only truth ( ‘His use of the term “fake news” echoed the Nazi smear Lügenpresse ( ‘lying press’ ” ), and how through gradual repetition of lies, he transformed the minds of the Republican electorate. The Nazis used radio to hone their lies—Trump used Twitter to develop a cult of personality that would sustain those lies ... But the most disturbing thing about Snyder’s essay is how he predicts this will all play out over the next four years ... Because if the Republican electorate continues to wallow in conspiracy mythology, continuing to believe that the 2020 election was stolen, it practically sets the stage for violence in 2024, with Republicans routinely claiming fraud every time they lose an election, the will of the voters be damned."

The really scary unknown during the next four years will be: Will Republican voters ever accept that they were lied to by Donald Trump?

Here is Timothy Snyder's sobering New York Times article "The American Abyss:"
[nytimes.com]

AnonySchmoose 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People always ask me why I study the Holocaust. In order to recognize the tactics. I too have been ranting how these tactics follow in the footsteps of Hitler's. Hitler admire how Jackson herded our Native citizens into a concentrated area. How separating children from parents left folks demoralized. How repeating lies over & over becomes belief. How police worked from the inside to undermine democracy. How torture is necessary ie water boarding. How the "other" is the enemy. Not in America? Yes. Indeed. Here I now. We the people must stop this. Where are my liberal Republicans we used to have> We certainly have conservative Democrats? The fringe is a dangerous lot.

You left out the most powerful tactic, dehumanize the opposition, then you can get your followers to do things they would normally be morally opposed to. Army does it all the time, those over there are not people, they are gooks, or commies, or chinks or fill-in-the-blank

@Canndue Yes indeed. I did say "the other as the enemy". But you are correct. Make them less than human. Then one can engage in deplorable conduct because they are not human. Thusly we murder our primate cousins with impunity. Military does it all the time is absolutely correct.

@Canndue Hitler very successfully waged de-humanizing Jews, even using comic books

The P.B/Nazis will go underground and wage guerrilla attacks. As for Trump Cultists they're so far gone to ever see his lies, or accept the reality of his loss.

America is on it's way to Civil war if things don't change

Yes ... unfortunately that seems possible.

@AnonySchmoose Maybe this is already the Civil War, and has been happening for years right under our noses, starting with the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987.
AM Talk Radio has virulently, savagely, transformed itself into HATE radio ever since. That's almost 35 years of lies, lies, and more lies by corporate-sponsored radio storm troopers. Try listening to it. Fox News is just a slightly more sanitized version of the same thing.

@Storm1752 i have been saying for Years that FoxTV & hate radio poses a Far Bigger threat to the USA than McConnell, Cruz, Graham & drumpy combined!

@Storm1752 Listen to Limbaugh or any of the many “talk” radio broadcasts.

and it could very well start on Jan 20th.

@Storm1752
Yes, I've been aware of the far right media rhetoric that always tried to frame the mythology and set the stage only for their own empowerment, not for the middle class or for helping the poor be part of the middle class. I have experienced that for decades. I remember the Reagan years were a time of distrust and despair.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:567912
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.