Agnostic.com

13 12

This is a Little Personal

Today my birthday present arrived from Amazon. A day late, but w t h.
I bought myself a keyboard with large white keys and black letters, you know the one for people with low vision or advancing years.
It is hard to admit it, but writing on the old keyboard was getting too frustrating. I have lots of writing ahead of me and cannot afford a secretary. Plus, all that German-language stuff. The grandchildren are not interested.to learn all those Umlauten and " ß" letter and their applications.
So, here I am with my black/white, clicky keyboard, out of excuses for not writing day and night. It needs to be done. I am not getting any younger and the stories must be told.
With sincere appreciation for all you eagle-eyed writers who type on your cell phones.

Spinliesel 9 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always blame fat fingers. I can't see the small phone keyboards.

I am with you- fat fingers. We should start a group here! I wanted to learn the mandolin but my fat and stiff fingers said. Nope. You make enough noise already."

I already wished you happy birthday Antje...now I wish you easy typing with your new keyboard...get that memoir finished. I really must do something similar to leave for my grandsons.

Thank you, Marje. Typing is so much easier now. All the mistakes are of my own making!

Happy Birthday 🎉🎈🎂🎁

Happy Birthday! Now get to work! 🙂

Voice to text has saved me from carpal tunnel!

Happy birthday, Antje, and may the new keyboard give you much happiness (or at least ease)! I rarely write from my phone. I wait until I'm at my computer, so I may be right behind you on that.

It's super cool that you are giving your descendants the present of your writing as well. Happy birthday 💜

Happy birthday.

You are wise to write things down now.

I have seen the significant loss of of wisdom; great minds that were taken by disease, how quickly years pass and insight lost with little committed to written words.

As for eagle-eyed writer with their cell phones, I have a flip phone so I am now using a Raspberry Pi connected to a 65" 4-K QLED monitor. No glasses needed.

Delicious- Raspberry Pi. Just joking!

At some point also consider a backlit keyboard. Those are also great. (But sometimes simple? Is easiest!).

You use the backlighting feature when you need it - and turn it off when you don't. So I find I ike it. I only turn it on when I actually need it and it doesn't glare at me the rest of the time. lol

I'm fortunately a touch typist because a teacher of mine from HS firmly believed if we were going on to college we were going to NEED to learn to keyboard. So if I can find that home line of keys? I'm set!
I suspect she knew computers were coming. It was the early 80s so she was pretty forward sighted to know it then? But I'm more than glad she gave us that shove.

Oh and always remember you can increase the size of objects on your screen. My SO just got a new laptop and we were adjusting all those things the other day. (I routinely do that whenever I have to so I knew just where to look). But increasing the size of the font on your screen can be a massive help to reduce eyestrain. If my computer was at system normal? I wouldn't last more than an hour or two a day. (Settings/System/Display/Advanced Display Settings) on most Windows computers now. It should all be there.
Both font size and display settings. Usually both of those require adjustment.

I hope you had a lovely birthday! ❤

I had a good birthday. When I was in high school in Germany, we asked about learning to type. We were told, we would not need that skill; we would have secretaries for that. We did, however, had to learn needlework and cooking. Household help was hard to come by even then. ( I went to a really expensive school. Tuition as paid. I was their token poor, and they would never let me forget it)

@Spinliesel Sorry to hear that. That can be truly miserable. Mean kids suck. Mean rich kids? Really suck!

What's interesting is that a true executive these days absolutely needs to be able to write a coherent letter in a pinch - themself! (You wouldn't have thought that when I was in High School - but it's become very true with the advent of Social Media).

Happy birthday , health and smiles ♥️

Happy birthday

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 11, 2021

Thank you, bobwjr.

Happy belated birthday. glad it was a gift you like and will use. May the force be with you in your writing.

Thank you. From now on, all the mistakes are of my own making!

@Spinliesel I make less mistakes texting with voice to text. But don't have voice set up for typing everywhere I'df even pissible.

@gigihein It must be possible because my phone provider gives me messages to email. Don't know the technology, though.

Happy Birthday about two days after.
🌹🌼🌷🌻🌸🌹🌼🌷🌻🌸
Typing up stories could be good fun.

Thank you. The stories are part of my autobiography and tell how we lived in Camp for Displaced Persons after WWII. My grandchildren want to know.

@Spinliesel Nice!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:568132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.