Agnostic.com

4 2

Freedom vs. Force - The Individual and the State

Somnium 6 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You come close to playing a dangerous semantic game. There is no such thing as absolute freedom. To buy the idea of absolute freedom means allowing people to take advantage of others, to treat them with a lack of dignity and respect. To do so denies the basic tenets of democracy. Yes, we need to act and make choices within the bounds of morality and rationality, but we should never create a governmental situation which allows and encourages the debasing and exploitation of others. Your posts lean toward self-serving libertarianism.

Of course, absolute freedom doesn’t exist. Ditto for absolute force.

@yvilletom I did not imply that absolute force does nor should exist, or that it should You set up false dichotomies.

@wordywalt Though absolute power does not exist, absolute power corrupts absolutely is so often parroted that many appear to believe the dichotomy does exist.

BTW, I stated my opinion, not yours.

@Somnium, IMO your prose passed over the heads of a few people here. Don’t give up on everyone here.

"Freedom vs. Force" -- false dichotomy

Please explain.

@yvilletom The video describes the two as there exists one or the other, when both have a continuum.

@FearlessFly I doubt your definition.

Definition and Explanation of False Dichotomy A false dichotomy or false dilemma occurs when two options or alternatives are presented as the only ones.
Source: a poem analysis website

@FearlessFly That is the reasoning of extreme libertarianism.

Nathan Hale was hanged by the British spying for the Continental Army. His last words "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." True story.

Hale and the Brits had different countries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:568748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.