Agnostic.com

1 6

LINK Pastor Who Advised Two Presidents Is Sentenced to 6 Years for Cheating Investors

Kirbyjon H. Caldwell was senior pastor of the Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston and rose to prominence as a supporter of George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

Jan. 14, 2021
The former pastor of a Houston megachurch who advised former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama was sentenced on Wednesday to six years in prison after he pleaded guilty to cheating investors in a multimillion-dollar scheme, prosecutors said.

The former pastor, Kirbyjon H. Caldwell, 67, was the leader of the Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston and rose to prominence as a friend and adviser to Mr. Bush from his days as Texas governor.

As the leader of a predominantly African-American congregation, Mr. Caldwell helped Mr. Bush as he sought to appeal to Black voters.

Mr. Caldwell spoke at the Republican National Convention in 2000, delivered the benediction at Mr. Bush’s second inauguration in 2005 and was an early supporter of Mr. Bush’s initiative to give religious groups a greater role in the delivery of social services.

In 2008, Mr. Caldwell officiated at the wedding of Mr. Bush’s daughter Jenna on the Bush family ranch in Crawford, Texas.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I considered becoming a Methodist in my late 20s. I'm glad I avoided that train wreck.

I was a Methodist for many years, I appreciate the education I got from them, still have pastor friends, but don't miss the church at all.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:570055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.