Agnostic.com

44 6

How do you get tasks accomplished?

For me, I find that if I'm having trouble focusing on a task (or even just getting started on a task) that putting on some classical music, or sometimes maybe soft rock or acoustic rock, that it helps me at least get started. Also, sometimes taking a short walk helps. What do you do?

iamjc 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have one of those dog collars that zaps me when I stray.

godef Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

Who pushes the button?

@Condor5 Good question, but with those dog collars, you have an underground wire around the perimeter of the yard that'll cause the collar to zap. In my case a little AI is required.

Aren’t you making an assumption? πŸ™‚

skado Level 9 Apr 13, 2018

... why do I feel like there is something I should be doing right now?

Ah yes, so bad that I enrolled in a procrastination class about 30 yrs ago. I was given advice and direction to read this book and that book. Rationalize and attack my false beliefs etc., etc.

Eventually, I decided to do the dishes or whatever incrementally. THAT was the secret to my success. It is a lot easier to commit to small doses. So simple, so pragmatic, so me.

I just do stuff

I do stuff too but these days I'm slower at it. I've been trying to dust for a week.

I reclassify them are unnecessary and cross them off the list. That seems to work.

Whatever it takes...

By not sitting at this site !

Well, first, I put it off until I can't ignore it anymore. Then I just take a deep breath and make myself do it. I have to work up the will, first.

Just do them, no procrastinating. Sooner things are done, the sooner I have time to do something I want to do, not need to do.

Depends what the job is, I have one that is three years in the works, another will be a year that I work at every day other things I procrastinate for as long as I can.

Lots of caffeine and loud, energetic music. Soft music makes me sleepy.

Okay, so you ask "How do you get tasks accomplished?", and this is asking all of us.

I get them accomplished by beginning them, going through them, and finishing them.

Either by doing them or paying someone else to do them. I would be interested in knowing of other ways.

I find I've begun to sort of ritualize the tasks I need to do. I do each step very deliberately, carefully and with mindfulness. For me, this works quite well even with the seemingly smallest, least significant things and I can be very focused and make far fewer mistakes. And if I leave my mind open, solutions often come spontaneously, if the task is unfamiliar or something I haven't done for quite awhile. Quiet usually helps too. And if none of that works, I'll just take a nap and sleep until the notion passes.

Very SLOWLY...sometimes deliberately!!

I put them off until the very last minute.
Basically, I'm forcing myself to do it.

Drink 2 cups coffee.

Try Chopin his work is inspirational. I have Alexa on my echo get the Iheart radio station that specifically plays Chopin.

I just do it. I don't really have tasks. I live in a clean room. I'm tidy and organized. As well as OCD.

I always have something to do, I never stop doing things. I just move organically from one task to the next. Things that must be doen by a certain time get put in my electronic calendar, and I get them out of the way ASAP. Posting here is my coffee time.

Stepping right away from it by maybe going out first so I see it with new eyes.

I'm a list person. I write a list of tasks to accpmplish. Large tasks, like putting in raised bed gardens, get broken into smaller, incremental tasks until the project is complete.

Hateful tasks get a timer. When its something I really don't like doing, I set a timer for 30 minutes & work as fas as i can to get as much done as possible within the 30 minute timeframe. Then i take a break & do a more likeable chore (like tend to chickens, pack eggs, etc) then another 30 minutes on the hateful task.

Folding clothes out the dryer & putting them away instead of a clothes basket saves a lot of time too.

I procrastinate until I don't, then get at it. Mosts task I do are no where near where I can play music.

I heave a big sigh, get off my ass, and get to whatever it is.

There are so many distractions today. I find that I just have to focus and get to it. Put everything else out of my head and do it. Everything else is just a distraction for me if I try it. A lot of the time I write a list of what I have to do. It helps me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.