Agnostic.com

13 2

South Park

Who here loves South Park? (the tv show on Comedy Central)

Do you feel that Matt and Trey have treated religion disrespectfully or have they given it the respect it deserves?

Many examples come to mind - episodes on Scientology,( the actor voicing chef left the show because of the Scientology episode) Mormonism, (they even created a musical called the Book of Mormon and Mormons were a good sport about it ) poking fun at Judaism( Cartman towards Kyle and Jews in general) .. the list goes on and on

• 24 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 9 votes
Jarucker 5 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anybody here see The Book Of Mormon yet? The touring production is coming to Denver in 2018 and I hope that I can scrape together the money to go see it.

Broadway shows are so expensive though. I kind of miss the 90's when Broadway shows like Miss Saigon, Sunset Boulevard, Phantom Of The Opera and Les Miserables were big spectacles. It made the hefty price tag worth it.

I'd go see the show when it comes to SF

Which part of the Bay Area are you in? I lived in the Buringame and San Mateo area for three years.

One of the few shows I've seen almost every single episode of. I still need to watch this season though.

I like that show and the way their comedy holds nothing sacred.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker don't seem to so much as have a beef with religion but delight in pointing out how absurd it is and enjoy taking the piss out of those who take it too seriously (or in some cases the lack thereof). I think Trey Parker said in an interview that atheism is the most absurd proposal out of any spiritual stance. That said, they usually have some poignant satire, and it's usually pretty fun to see what they think of the serious issues facing us and to remind us that yes it's okay to laugh, even if it is nervously.

I haven't really liked the last 5 or so seasons. The only thing about the newer stuff that I like is PC Principal.

Is the game for PS4 any good? If so, I may purchase it.

It’s kind of Fractured, Butt it’s a Whole game, nonetheless.

Seriously, I’ve heard good things though.

Nice.

I like that episode, too.

I haven’t watched in a long time, but after reading these comments, I’m going to look up some episodes!

New episode tonight [southpark.cc.com]

My favorite episode is Critter Christmas. Those critters are so cute which makes it even more hilarious.

It gives religion all the respect it deserves. Take the Mormon example. It is merciless to Mormon beliefs but it remain respectful of those who practice it acknowledging that a good number of them are very good people.

Yes, they are definitely aware of and take into account the politeness of Mormons.

I went to high school with Mormons out west. They were always nice to me.

Havent watched in years. Tends to push the envelope on whats funny.

New episode tomorrow! [southpark.cc.com]

South Park is great in how they approach religion, and nobody is left unscathed: Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Scientologists… even atheists were lambasted in one episode (the "put food up your butt, crap out your mouth" episode). Super Best Friends also included Buddha, Krishna, and Lao Tse — and, of course, Seaman. 😛

Yes, and I almost forgot that they actually did portray Muhammad in that episode as opposed to the episode where he was censored.

Muhammad

Seaman! Hahaha

I love the show and I have seen every episode but it is not in my top ten. I think it gives a jab at all religion fairly and doesn't give favor to any religion. My boyfriend is Baptist and I have to watch it when he is not around because he can't stand the way the show jabs at religion. He is a huge believer that Christianity is under attack but doesn't understand that the that there is no attack the decline of Christianity comes from within and from people starting to think for themselves for a change. You can only imagine how that goes over when we have that talk. LOL

That would be tough. But South Park attacks everyone and everything so it kind of evens everything out. I kinda don’t like when they hyper-focus on one particular celebrity’s apearance as a thing to make fun of. Sarah Jessica Parker or Barbara Streisand.

While the Mormon church tried to make lemonade out of lemons with the broadway show, going as far as advertising in the playbill ("You've seen the show, now read the book" ), most Mormons have been anything but good sports about the musical. Most hate it, though they've refused to see it.

Oh man I didn’t know that, I guess I need to read the book. Mormons are goofy. Haha

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5712
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.