Agnostic.com

12 9

I'm legally blind due to macular edema and the vision in my eyes is twice as bad in the left than in the right. For this reason, it's become necessary sometimes to wear an eyepatch but I think I look silly and have refused to wear it in public.

Am I being too self-conscious?

Sgt_Spanky 8 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find it rather attractive.
The first few times I met a new friends husband he was wearing a black eye patch. I didn't give it any thought until I saw him without it for the first time. Point being that you are probably the only one that gives it any thought. You look good.

Well, thanx for that. 🙂

No my mom had that

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 26, 2021

Tell people you're a pirate! Yarrrrrr! 😀

I think that it looks fine, and rather suits you. But...

Following a series of eye surgeries, I often had to wear a patch or a bandage over my eye. And it did draw some attention, which I wasn't crazy about.

I noticed something, though...the TYPE of attention I drew seemed to be directly related to the type of covering I wore. If I wore a gauze bandage secured by medical tape, I heard sympathetic clucks. If I wore a black, pirate-style patch, people would cross to the other side of the aisle to avoid me (not such a bad thing now, with COVID-19, but back then it hurt). If I wore the hand-sewn, flower print patch that my friend made, people were more neutral - they noticed, and might even ask, but in a more accepting way.

So, the type of patch matters! Run your own little social experiment, if you like, to determine which covering's results you can most easily live with.

That's very interesting! Now I want @Sgt_Spanky to do it as a social experiment. 🙂

@Lauren There was something else which Sgt_Spanky, being male, probably won't have to deal with...

Those sympathetic clucks that I heard, with the bandage on, took a very different tone if I was out with my husband. People still looked at me with sympathy, but they looked at him like he was a monster!

And I get it. I mean, from their perspective, my injury might have been caused by violence. His helpful hand, guiding me, might have been a control tactic. I loved that people were so instantly protective, but hated that they assumed the worst of a wonderful man.

Interesting. I suppose that's something I could try although I have no idea where I'd get designer eyepatches just to try different ones for different reactions.

@AmyTheBruce That is a shame that people made such horrible first judgments about your husband. I'm honestly surprised that so many people made snap-judgments like that. People sure are strange.

@BTHT ETSY is a very good suggestion. Do you know what's even better, though? A fellow agnostic with a sewing machine!

I have already designed a pattern and cut a few different fabrics: camouflage for a "tough" look, musical notes for a "sensitive" look, etc.

I think it looks dashing, and someone must agree with me because there are entire Pinterest pages dedicated to people looking cool in eye patches.

Moshe Dayan, Ex Israel PM

In order for me to make it dashing, I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe and a cool new persona and all the accessories that calls for. This sounds like a big project.

@Sgt_Spanky Well, there's a plague going on for a bit longer, so that could kill some time. 😊

@Lauren I don't think it would work until after the plague is over. The eyepatch and the facemask together is just too much.

Who cares what other people say or think, you do what you have to do. You look good!

I don't like drawing attention to myself. It's uncomfortable.

@Sgt_Spanky I see, well you look good.

aye! ye should be satisfied its naught a peg leg. enjoy it.

Aye matey! It could be worse is what ye mean!

Yeah, it could.

@Sgt_Spanky seriously, best wishes for your eyes.

You wouldn’t be the first person to wear an eye patch in public.

And I always wonder if that person has a medical issue or just likes the look of it for some reason.

Yeah, you are....people rarely care about something like an eye patch. Take care of yourself! Personally, I'd probably take advantage of it and start telling small children that I was a pirate or something. Wait, I already do that with the scar on my throat.....

Yes you are being to self conscious.
You would not think twice about using a walking stick, hearing aid, glasses or a sling if you needed to, so what is the difference?

Between the face mask and the eyepatch only my right eye is visible. There's a big difference.

Public or no public, you are taking care of yourself and that's all that should matter.

As a man who is 83 years old, and has multiple limiting conditions: We do what we have to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:572139
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.