Agnostic.com

28 5

Do more non-believers view life as a painful, unpleasant experience?

A few weeks back I posted on the topic of suicide, and it had a lot of responses. Since then I've seen a few more pop up on that same topic, and I'm sure a few posted before my post and all of them got a tremendous response. Suicide seems to be a hot topic, and a disturbing number of people here seem strangely carefree with ending their lives. This ambivalence towards life has me concerned.

• 4 votes
  • 39 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 4 votes
paul1967 8 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I'm finished, I'll make the choice to die. I'll travel to say good-bye to son and my brother's family. I'll probably tell my son what's up, but not my brother.

Whether one chooses to acknowledge this or not, there is great diversity in this world, and varying opinions would be an obvious result of such. Over the years I have observed both religious and non-religious alike taking a somewhat cynical and hardened approach to life, and in particular the decision to end one's own existence. As someone who places importance on individual liberty and the right for each individual to make his/her own choices, I cannot tell nor would I even have the right to tell someone their views on suicide are incorrect. Bottom line is, life is ultimately what you make it, so I simply leave those be who may think suicide is the answer when life itself goes south. I often wondered just how important legacy is, knowing some day the Sun will explode and the Earth will cease to be, and no one will be left alive to remember anything anyway, no matter how long that may take to occur. There are other issues in this world that are far more concerning than suicide, and besides why dwell on such a negative topic? Life is too short as it is, every day above ground is a gift. Just a thought there, and thank you for your take on the subject.

In an earlier post of mine about assisted suicide many were of the opinion that assisted suicide should be allowed for those who are suffering depression or something on that order.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.