Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Letters From An American 02/09/2021

Today began the second impeachment trial for former president Donald J. Trump, this time for incitement of insurrection against the American government.

Still, the people who are really on trial are the 50 Republican senators judging Trump’s guilt.

The impeachment trial today covered whether it is constitutional to try a former official. This angle was designed to get Republican senators off the hook: if not, they could avoid voting on the article of impeachment.

The proceedings went badly for the defense. Lead House impeachment manager Jamie Raskin (D-MD) began the session by pointing out that Trump’s lawyers were arguing for a brand new “January exception to the Constitution of the United States of America.” Constitutional lawyers from across the political spectrum, he pointed out, agree that former officials must be held accountable for their actions after they leave office. Otherwise, officeholders could commit high crimes and misdemeanors and then promptly resign, putting themselves beyond reach of impeachment.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jamie Raskin was in the news lately and I just posted his quote (just for laughs). He's one of us.

Since I do not have TV I wonder what the people at fox, oann and newsmax had to say. IMHO they will bear the weight of a civil uprising because the people who need to watch this impeachment proceeding won't. They will get their version of events from the far right pundits and social media.
I am guilty of doing much the same at times but I did watch yesterday but could not get thru all of the defense arguments. Both of them were pretty gruesome. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:575444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.