Agnostic.com

3 0

Can Dark Matter Be Explained By a Link to a Fifth Dimension ?

Searching for dark matter through the fifth dimension

[popularmechanics.com]

FearlessFly 9 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can you make a testable hypothesis, test it, and get confirming evidence?

BTW, the link is useless.

More intriguing to me is the possibility that tachydons could provide a new level of particle symmetry that could explain quantum entanglement, why the expansion of the universe is accelerating, the dearth of antimatter and what dark matter is. Not that I have the slightest idea of how to look for them.

The idea of tachyons (however unlikely their existence) is fascinating. Do you have any references that describe how they might explain the things you mention?

@Coffeo Way over my head but quantum entanglement because they could form the faster than light link between the particles. We don't have a mechanism to explain the expansion of the universe and we also don't have an antiparticle for the graviton which could could carry a repulsive force. If we had a whole new family of particles most of the antimatter could have ended on their side of the divide to maintain symetrey. If something moves at "infinite speed" it could be anywhere or everywhere when viewed from our side so we would need a new level of correspondence. It we view time as a 4th spacial dimension we could also view the tachydon field as a 5th spatial dimension that overlaps ours everywhere at once. Also I misspoke it would better explain dark energy not dark matter

@Buttercup I've always liked the idea of tachyons, but there are also lots of problems with the idea. It would really shake things up if their existence was demonstrated!

@Coffeo Yup, things get real crazy real quick.

Pretty much all of the major breakthroughs in scientific history started with a what-if that the general scientific community found nonsensical. Earth not the center of the universe, Kepler physics, Newtonian physics, how disease is transmitted, evolution, relativity, quantum mechanics... 😛

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.