Agnostic.com

7 9

LINK A Black Atheist Explains What Led Her Away from Religion | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

OmoIgbo is a Black female atheist who’s trying to understand how she ended up in that (extremely) tiny demographic given that her family and friends remain religious. (She came from a Pentecostal family, where church services are intense, to say the least.)

We all have personal stories of what led us away from religion, but in an attempt to make her experience more universal, OmoIgbo boils it down to a combination of factors including space away from her family, introspection, a desire to learn things outside her bubble, and more.

snytiger6 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Black Athiest... Really... Since when has Athiesim become a color thing🤔

I think space away from family is very beneficial to one’s paradigm shift. The moment i moved away from my family it took me less than two years to stop caring about religion. for about 8 years while I was away I lied to my parents that I was still going to church. They would ask me what the sermon was on any given Sunday. I usually came up with some BS sermon. Long story short, I’m an atheist and everyone in my life knows. I don’t have to lie anymore. My coming out was easier than I thought it would be. I haven’t gotten any rejection from my siblings and parents. My dad is a Pentecostal pastor in Kenya. I can’t go toe to toe with him on why he believes only because he’s ailing a bit. Anyhow.

Plus she no doubt actually Read a babble......

You mean the wholly babble?

Showing my bias, I have always been astonished at how African Americans could be bible thumpers. It is like blacks for trump or women for Trump. I have had the privilege of meeting a number of black athiests and one, a black Muslim woman. Imagine how strong and brave she needs to be??

There is an extra added pressure to be a Christian because the main locus of the Civil Rights Movement was the church and the fact that churches were the only places that blacks were allowed to gather in large numbers. By the way, your prominent Civil Rights leaders were pastors like Dr. Martin Luther King.

@Heavykevy1985 This began in the early 18th century when slavery was in place. I get the gathering together, but the whites who drove them were invariably Christians and used the old Testament's justification for slavery to justify their own oppressing of slaves. . So how and why take on your oppressor's god?

@Healthydoc70 easy. Christianity requires only a profession of faith and plus, the promise of an eternal life with God in Heaven.

Good for her, finding her way to reason.

More power to her! I used to get drunk and cry about it. I had failed myself and also failed my god. Get serious and also get back to the bible. In the end too much bible study showed me that it was all made up. Pentecostalism like all religions is a myth.

Black people tend to be more religious and less accepting of atheism.

Which brings up something that has always bothered me but I usually don't mention it because I fear being taken to task by P.C. people. I always wondered why the enslaved blacks were so easily seduced by the religion of their white masters. I believe I touched on that subject in a previous post.

@fishline79 The white masters used religion to control their slaves. I think most slaves went Christian because they thought it woudl please their white masters.

@snytiger6 They were educated and taught the language by White Christian people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576555
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.