Agnostic.com

3 8

Beast Ironing... now tell me again how women aren't still oppressed in the 21st century.

"The first prosecutions for female genital mutilation are going through the courts. Now, campaigners say another form of mutilation called "breast ironing" is happening - and most people are unaware of it."

Disgusting!

Leelu 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are just talking about symptoms. Genital mutilation is just one of the thousands. There are too many to discuss.

The root of of all problems is religion and the associated beliefs that are broadcast and perpetrated by the mouthpiece of the pastors and their cronies in a society. Remove religion and remove all associated problems.

True, which is why I posted it here. The whole concept that humans, particularly women, are disposable fodder for whatever twisted religious practices want to inflict on others just has to stop.

@Leelu

I have read and heard about this problem for the last 25 years everywhere. Still no efforts worldwide has made a dent in the problem. The reason is we are just discussing symptoms and not attempting to remove the root cause - religion.

Religion cannot be removed just by social efforts b=y individuals and organizations. The only effort that will work is POWER!

Unless atheists win power, none of our side efforts, complains and whining is going to work. Christianity and Islam spread because they made emperors, kings adopt their faith. Hinduism did not break out beyond their land in spite of being the oldest but Buddhism spread only because of patronage of kings.

It is time that FFRF and all other anti-religion organization begin getting powerfully funded and they start making their voice known in all government affairs at all levels... from school boards to Congress/parliaments to presidents and prime ministers including all courts.

@St-Sinner I explained to a colleague that religion is the course for such ills in society taking place.

His response was Religion and culture are intertwined, it’s a complex problem. But there are many sources of bad ideas outside of religion. Blaming religion for all the ills in the world is as silly as the religious blaming atheism for Stalinism, nazism and all the human rights violations in China.

...so he is a so-called atheist but wife still Catholic so I'm wondering whether he's defending her goodness instead?

The problem is that people like to use culture to distract from atrocities caused by religion and vice versa. But this is bullshit sophistry hiding a red herring.

Thank you for this. So many are unaware of these practices concerning women & girls. Then there is fistula.
[equalitynow.org]

Disgusting indeed.

& What does it do to milk producing abilities?

Probably stifles it and if so it may increase the rate of breast cancer later on since breast feeding reduces the chance of breast cancer in women.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.