Agnostic.com

6 4

How do you prepare yourself for the rigours of the day?

According to Joel Owen, a lecturer in evidence-based low-intensity psychological therapies, working on the Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner training programme at the University of East Anglia in the UK. The Roman emperor and Stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius To encourage in himself an attitude of compassion and self-control, describes a practice of preparing himself for the day ahead:

"Say to yourself first thing in the morning: today I shall meet people who are meddling, ungrateful, aggressive, treacherous, malicious and unsocial. All of this has afflicted them through their ignorance of true good and evil. But I have seen that the nature of good is what is right, and the nature of evil what is wrong; and I have reflected that the nature of the offender himself is akin to my own…"

FrayedBear 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I commit to the nature of the offender not being akin to my own.
I do this by isolating myself from the world except for the internet.
"I touch no one & no one touches me"
Paul Simon

i commit the night before

self discipline is everything

always prepare where u can

feed ur body properly

its easy when u just build the habits

I wake up screaming, swear a lot, come to terms with the fact that all of my prior life was not a nightmare I had last night, swear again, go for a piss, try not to cry and wash and dress before I have a chance to go back to bed and cancel the day through lack of interest.
Swear again and take my medication.

Lol, right effing grumpy curmudgeon? I take your harmonious lovely marriage works either because you sleep in separate bedrooms or she is stone deaf until she puts the hearing aids back in?

@FrayedBear Bah Humbug

Coffee, lots of strong coffee. 🤪

Thanks for the post!

Why?

I get up and go for two hours exercise, jogging and power walking. I think, 'well, it's another shit day in a shit century." It's important to always keep a positive mental attitude. :--)

I'm not sure if that is displaying masochism or sadism David. At least you are allowed out.

@FrayedBear it's more like realism; the reality of the times we live in.

@David1955 make hay . . . I was expecting lovely day tours but we are in snapdown til midnight Wednesday...

@FrayedBear Duh, sorry to hear it. This starts to really mess with your head, like a slow form of torture.

@David1955 Unless it lifts I don't know when or how I'll see home again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576617
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.