Agnostic.com

38 2

What is your atheist anthem? (Music)

What is a song that promotes or brings to light being an atheist, agnostic, secularist, free-thinker, humanist, etc?

joeymf86 8 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Finally! I was waiting for someone to post this.

Preach Lemmy!

26 posts so far and no...?.

I've never heard this. It's great! Thanks for sharing.

@kozmic

This one? She swings it too much for my taste.
Mind you Normie Rowe was the first one I came across. I'm still trying to find the one I like best, but can't remember the artist.

Cher does it well too, love Gershwin.

A classic.

Here's one..

Imagine there's no heaven, easy if you try, no hell below us, above us only sky......

I'm confident I didnt take it as Stevie meant it but it was one of the first things that made me question the dogmatic baptist church. It still holds true.

Source:

"Dear God" by XTC, or "God Never Came There" by Elton John. Both do the job quite well.

I also had these which were already quoted :

REM - Losing my religion

Monty Pythons - Bright side of life

Lennon - Imagine

I'll add :

The Black Keys - Fever

Suddenly transported to my teenage bedroom, listening to songs my mother disapproved of, though she later admitted they were a talented group.

Great album, thanks for the link.

Youtube probably took down the video but if anyone was wondering what I posted, it was The Beatles' song "Think For Yourself"

Nice one, had never heard it before.

'Nuff said

Ever since I heard it in a busy city shopping precinct at Christmas time. I had to stop and listen as it was so pertinent to the mindless consumerism taking place around me 😟

ACDC Highway to Hell

For the irony.

I was at uni as a mature student doing sociology/social psychology - Half of our year were young students half were mature we all got on really well - I was fairly quiet but in one lecture in a vast round lecture hall the social history prof said that there had been no social uprisings before the 18th century and the shout was out of my mouth before i even knew it myself "What about the Diggers!" he collected himself well and it was then like the Monty Python sketch of 'what have the Romanns ever done for us?

I don't know if I am joking when I say this or not but i was told by my grandmother that her father sang the red flag at his open door every evening

British translation Billy Bragg's Revision[17] American version
First stanza
Arise, ye workers from your slumber,
Arise, ye prisoners of want.
For reason in revolt now thunders,
and at last ends the age of cant!
Away with all your superstitions,
Servile masses, arise, arise!
We'll change henceforth the old tradition,
And spurn the dust to win the prize!
So comrades, come rally,
And the last fight let us face.
The Internationale
Unites the human race.
So comrades, come rally,
And the last fight let us face.
The Internationale
Unites the human race.

How cool, I was in a combined union choir and we sang the red flag 🙂 and the banks are made of marble was a good one too.

Freewill by Rush

moody blues, in the beginning

Jesus' brother Bob by the Arrogant Worms

La La La by Naughty Boy

if I can have another it would be the diggers song

I have several, but since it's Sunday... "Sunday" by Bobby Darin 1968

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.