Agnostic.com

3 1

Just saw this documentary recently on Pluto TV. Was most impressed with Baldwin's insight on the culture. Highly recommended.

:-----:

James Baldwin and the Meaning of Whiteness

"Whiteness is a dangerous concept. It is not about skin color. It is not even about race. It is about the willful blindness used to justify white supremacy. It is about using moral rhetoric to defend exploitation, racism, mass murder, reigns of terror and the crimes of empire.

“The American Negro has the great advantage of having never believed the collection of myths to which white Americans cling: that their ancestors were all freedom-loving heroes, that they were born in the greatest country the world has ever seen, or that Americans are invincible in battle and wise in peace, that Americans have always dealt honorably with Mexicans and Indians and all other neighbors or inferiors, that American men are the world’s most direct and virile, that American women are pure,” Baldwin wrote. “Negroes know far more about white Americans than that; it can almost be said, in fact, that they know about white Americans what parents—or, anyway, mothers—know about their children, and that they very often regard white Americans that way. And perhaps this attitude, held in spite of what they know and have endured, helps to explain why Negroes, on the whole, and until lately, have allowed themselves to feel so little hatred. The tendency has really been, insofar as this was possible, to dismiss white people as the slightly mad victims of their own brainwashing.”

America was founded on the genocidal slaughter of indigenous people and the holocaust of slavery. It was also founded on an imagined moral superiority and purity. The fact that dominance of others came, and still comes, from unrestrained acts of violence is washed out of the national narrative. The steadfast failure to face the truth, Baldwin warned, perpetuates a kind of collective psychosis."

WilliamCharles 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A fantastic movie that I own a copy of and have watched several times. I try to lend this movie to friends, if they can handle it. I own another movie, about poverty and the unemployment/disability system, called I, Daniel Blake. Same thing, something everyone should see. A Brit movie, that one.

@TomMcGiverin - it does make for difficult viewing at times. I was born in '57. So much was happening around me during my childhood that I was largely oblivious to. I've heard of the Daniel Blake movie. Will search it out.

True.

Is pluto tv free. I had it once but don't recall.

Yes. A selection on smart TVs and a free app for your devices as well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:577666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.