Agnostic.com

33 3

Do you believe you will see your love ones again after you die? Why?

We are all familar with the christian belief that heaven or hell awaits.
As non believers i am curious to know your opinion on after death and what you think awaits us.
I personally believe when i die, my life force will be at one with our universe and i will not see any love ones after i die.

• 2 votes
  • 54 votes
  • 10 votes
twshield 8 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no reason to believe there is any part of us that survives when we die. Everything that makes us who we are is in our brains, and we know that changing the brain (due to injuries, surgery, etc.) can drastically change our personalities. Once the brain dies, there's nothing left of who we are.

I agree.

Exactly

You remember how you felt before you were born? Well, that's how you'll feel when you die. It'll be fine.

Exactly. I feel like I hurt myself for years by thinking only of painful memories from my past and life after my death. Now I try to think of life before my birth and my future while I live.

Even-though I am an atheist I do believe in reincarnation. Personally, believing in God and believing in reincarnation are two completely separate things. I believe my late husband and I have been together before, and will be again.

Other than that, no.

A friend and I recently had a conversation on reincarnation and she felt as you. My question to her was how many human consciousnesses could exist given any amount of time on this planet? She had not thought of that. My feeling is the number is infinite and that for one of us to return again, in any form, we are robing someone else of their life.

"Personally, believing in God and believing in reincarnation are two completely separate things."

Not really. They're both beliefs for which there's no evidence to support said beliefs.

I feel that once we die, it will probably be like the time before we were born; non-existent. We won't be aware of anything anymore, let alone being able to see our loved ones. I'd like to think I'd be reunited with my loved ones, but that would be just wishful thinking because if Heaven and Hell does exist, chances are all your loved ones won't be in the same place, anyway, considering they didn't live their life quite right enough and their name wouldnt be written in the book of life. My boyfriend, whose dad committed suicide solely believe his dad is in heaven, despite what the holy book says about suicide and its rules about what happens to people who do commit suicide. He really thinks when he die, he will see his dad again up in Heaven. Of course I don't say anything, but I think it is building false hope. Religion has robbed us of our natural ability to be able to cope with death properly when needing to understand that death is a natural part of life. But for some people, religion is the only thing keeping them sane cause death is a painful thing for us all, but too hard for some to handle.

I met people who tried to commit suicide, failed, went to the other side, and came back., I spoke to you before. Great book to read, BEYOND THE LIGHT by PMH Atwater. This book saved my life. You are a thinker otherwise you would not be on this site talking with others. Keep your mind open. Being on here is a good start and it is better than going to some fundamentalist church listening to all the Jesus Christ bullshit!! omg......what a fucked up religion. Who wants to be with the God in the Bible??? What an asshole.

My greatest fear is not having any choice in who I got to see - such as that horrible chemistry teacher with awful halitosis 🙂 I wonder if bad breath carries over into the afterlife 🙂

No, I don't believe I'll be seeing any of them again!

I know I will never see another family member i the afterlife. Or go to heaven or hell.

ill be dead so how is that even possible? define loved ones.

It would be nice to see those people we really love and who are meaningful to us but all I can do is to hope. I don't believe in heaven or hell, especially as the church puts it and there is good reason to believe that when we die, that's it, lights out and enjoy the sleep. Still the hope of some kind of afterlife is comforting but it doesn't play any part in my daily life and I'm certainly not afraid of death.

I sometimes ask them if they are also going to see their enemies,ex spouses etc .They do not usually like this question.

No. Think we get one chance and this is it. Make the best of it. Better just love up your loved ones.

No because it makes no sense to me. Just people's way of coping with the fact of their mortality. To each their own but I don't believe.

Bebel Level 4 Dec 31, 2017

A little bit of magical thinking is comforting here, and I indulge in it sometimes, thinking these bonds of love should be unbreakable. And when me or my husband goes or my child Zeus, forbid, I can imagine having such comforting thoughts. But when I am rational I really dont' think such magic is possible.

jmott Level 3 Dec 19, 2017

Not in the religious sence but yes. I'll explain...we all know humans have an electrical energy now when you die that energy does not it's simply redispursed wehether into the universe or into another conduite (living thing) so your energy is recycled so it's possible to meet or converge with anothers and this can happen many times

I will have no brain, no conscience, no nothing.

When you're dead, you're dead.

I would like to see my dead loved ones again but I am mature and intelligent enough to know that I will not. I do have hope though that one day we can extend life to the point that death by "natural causes" will no longer be a thing. I also have hope that one day perhaps we can bring our loved ones back through ethical scientific means.

I would like to but I think that I will not. That is the mourning, but now I also think of the good memories of loved ones.

You know how when you dream you have an altered perception of time? Biologically and psychologically, your brain is going to do its best to keep you alive and if it can't, happy. All those talks of near-death experiences or "flashes" from the "otherside" all seem to be what the individual "expected" (including the guy who claims he saw visions of hell).

Based on these ideas (and a few papers I've read over the years) I'm fairly certain that at the moment my brain/mind knows I'm going to die that I'll be exposed to a "dream" which, in those last few hours/minutes/seconds of consciousness, may seem to stretch into a lifetime but once the cells stop firing the only "reincarnation" I'll go through is wherever my atoms end up bieng incorporated afterward.

Nope. We die, and we're dead. No more awareness.

Honestly, I lean towards the idea that I am the only truly concious mind in all of existence. Very likely, something is going to happen that will obviate any possibility of my death. After all, my mind is the infinite fulcrum upon which all existence is balanced.

What if I told you that I am the only conscious mind in existence? Would you just say that I am just a figment of your imagination, like you are just a figment of my imagination? Would that be the epitome of arrogance?

But you won't, because you are not.
As in all situations bound up in such impenetrable subjectivity, it is best not to expend too much energy arguing one position or another.

Definitely won't see my loved ones-will I see at all ? Will I hear? Will I have any of my senses? Will I have a physical body? So many questions, no answers

I'm pretty sure the decomposed corpses of dead people point to a pretty specific conclusion that we won't see, won't hear and looking at the evidence - we do know.

As humans, we just hate to face the facts because we don't want to die.

Even if there were an afterlife (which I do not believe), it's hard to see how this would actually work.

No, I don't think that we will see our loved ones when we die. I think that 1 when we die we simply die BUT if for whatever reason there was to be a creator that would bring us to a special place of eternity. I believe that from what scripture tells us this place of ZERO sin would change us of who we are. We live, eat and breath sin every single day without being able to escape it. Our very morals are created because of sin. If there is a place that is without sin and we are stripped of sin I don't see how we would recognize who our loved ones are or even who we are anymore.

Whoah, you still haven't shaken of the shackles of christian "belief" have you!
"From what the scripture tells us"? I prefer Harry Potter as a fairy tale.

@Agnostic1 I think that you totally missed the point of what I was saying as I started my reply off with the fact that I feel that when we die we just die...

IF there were anything other from what I have taken from scripture is what I feel is what I posted and is what I feel is just plain stupid about the whole afterlife concept. I am sorry that for whatever reason you felt that I haven't " Shaken " off Christian belief but even if I haven't I have only stated opinion not directed at anyone. You certainly have no grounds to stand on to tell me where I stand in a belief system without further talking to me to gain more of an understanding of my opinions rather than just telling them to me. Just because I can talk about the " Faith " because I have grown up in and studied Christianity before leaving behind a fictitious belief system does not leave claim to having it.

I saw this YOUTUBE video that said that this whole place Is just a trap, reincarnation, salvation.....dealing with karma, it's all a trap and the Angels are
just trying to "enslave" us, the cycle of rebirth and coming back here, or just coming here is the first place. It could be true!! Sometimes life is boring and stupid!! Mankind is a pretty violent stupid creature. I want to live my life out....peaceful, just go with the flow. We will be worm food soon enough,. Keep a sense of humor. Try to be nice to others, the golden rule. It's important to me and I will always love my mother!!

As much as I would love to see my loved ones again after death it makes no more sense than a deity or higher power to me so I cannot believe it.

I don't see how it makes a difference. I would not change how I live my life one way or the other, based on whether or not I'd see loved ones after I died.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.