Agnostic.com

2 2

Regarding this horrible accident that tiger woods was in, sad to hear everybody say that they're praying for him. If the all knowing and all powerful god let him have this accident why do they think they're going to help them now?

Oh yeah, Man's Free Will. The standard bullshit when they can't explain why god let something happen. But god can fix it if they like you I suppose. ðŸĪŠ

lerlo 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God will not prevent tragedies. God only promises to be with you when it happens. Well thanks a lot.

I've had girlfriends like that

'Free Will' and the problem of evil have been debated by philosophers since at least the ancients -- and still not definitive. 😛

IMO, a better argument involves the widespread suffering caused by non-humans (e. g. pathogens, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc.).

Why would a "creator" allow so much suffering ?

Well of course. Pretty sure the free will situation is pretty definitive unless you're a marionette. Not sure why the evil thing is still up for grabs--if you're going to make things up you can have as many gods as you want, and for good tv you need a villain--the devil=evil. I like to stick to the post.

@lerlo 'definitive' ? ? ?

[samharris.org]

I recommend all 24 lectures :

[thegreatcourses.com]

@FearlessFly religion is continuously debated and there's no definitive answer on that either right? part of Man's Free Will is to think and debate any fucking thing they want, that doesn't mean that the side they pick is worthy of debate. People think trump won the election. Just because people can decide to go against facts doesn't mean it's not true. When someone does a study and says the sky really isn't blue what are you going to do then? If you seriously believe that you don't get to do whatever you want I can't help you. And when I say "get to" I mean regardless of consequences. After listening to all of your lectures, tell me one thing you can't do if you want to.

@lerlo I am 'agnostic' on the "free will" issue. My point is, that science and philosophy are still not definitive on the subject. 😛

@FearlessFly I notice you didn't answer my question. Outside of physical, monetary or consequential issues what can't you do that you want to?

@lerlo Your 'question' seems to assume a 'black/white' answer. History and current research provides a much more complicated issue. 😛

@FearlessFly no assumption, there's an easy answer if you will accept it

@lerlo You seem to assert there is only one answer . . .

. . . hard not to notice that YOU have provided no evidence. The links I provided discuss ALL sides of the issue(s) (especially the 24 lectures).

@FearlessFly just answer my question and you'll have all the evidence you need

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578252
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.