Agnostic.com

3 3

The For the People Act[1] (H.R 1) [en.wikipedia.org]

This is making me happy.

Do you know this Democratic Reforms bill is gathering momentum? Republicans blocked it for years and now Democrats are pushing it through. Here is what it includes:

~ Voting rights
The bill would require states to offer same-day voter registration for federal elections

~ Election security
The bill contains election security provisions, including a voter verified paper ballot provision mandating the use of paper ballots

~ Campaign finance
The bill would introduce voluntary public financing for campaigns, matching small donations at a 6:1 ratio. It would impose stricter limitations on foreign lobbying, require super PACs and other "dark money" organizations to disclose their donors

~ Ethics
The bill would require the president and vice president, as well as presidential and vice-presidential candidates, to publicly disclose their previous 10 years of income tax returns

~ Statehood for the District of Columbia
The 2019 version of H.R. 1 made findings in support of admitting the District of Columbia as a state

~ Gerrymandering
The bill would thwart gerrymandering by requiring states to use independent commissions to draw congressional district lines

~ Number of Federal Election Commissioners
Under current law, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) has six members, no more than three of whom can be members of the same political party, with at least four votes required for any official FEC action

~ President to give up the sole right to trigger the nuclear arms
It would require the vice president and House speaker to agree with a launch

You like it?

St-Sinner 9 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We already have a public finance option for elections on the 1040A etc. No one other than me checks the box. Every one hates pols so they think not giving 3$ is a form of punishment. I do agree with most of the bill. Then we have to wait and see how it fairs.

Ideally we should look to the British elections. Limited money, limited time. No frills elections.

American vs British elections. I like the green lettered rules.

ha.. ha... That has always been a threat but many good things have not stopped.

But conveniently it does not include term limits for Congress members.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.