Agnostic.com

8 4

When I talk to atheists I feel they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

When I talk to Christians I feel they have thrown the baby out, and KEPT the bathwater!

Looks like the art of mythology is bound to be an orphan.

skado 9 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My understanding of the world was deeply informed by the study of mythology, and its metaphorical interpretations, especially those studied in youth.

However there is great danger in taking just one single mythology, especially the one endemic to the culture in which you live, and promoting it alone as a metaphor which offers wisdom and a panacea for the worlds ills. Because that leads to exactly the same absolutism, as a literal belief in a deity, indeed it is no more than making a pseudo-deity out of a metaphor, with exactly the same anti-human and anti-tolerant results.

All of the evils of a religion are contained within it culture, including its mythology, ( It can not be otherwise if there are no literal gods. ) throwing away the bath water, (literal superstition I assume. ) will not stop the baby growing up to be a monsterous thug if that is its wish, and that is build into its nature.

I totally get you, but have to disagree to a point. I’m an atheist, because I see no use for literal belief in the gods or, if they might exist, any real role for them to play in a world we have come to understand more fully than our ancestors. Yet I find mythology a very useful tool for understanding how people think (even beyond the scope of religion), what they value, how they see themselves and their world. Traditional mythologies often have bits of philosophy and history included, but typically using symbols and heros/villains instead of the “facts” we moderns have come to expect. Insisting on literal interpretations misses the point. I can appreciate and even learn from Aesop’s Fables without claiming we must all believe that animals can talk like humans.

@skado

This post makes no sense.

As an atheist, I don't believe in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

I chose rational thought, not magical beliefs. No baby or bathwater involved.

There ya go.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater may give some people a notion of achievement or progress. However, if both are replaced with and give rise to a belief system that is more insidious than that which it has replaced nothing will have been achieved, quite the contrary, especially, if it is a belief system that focuses on the control of language and the establishment of 'authoritative ' conformity.

In my opinion it would be nothing short of foolish to believe that if all religions were to vanish tomorrow we would find ourselves in a world that is governed by reason and science.

Word salad.

You can come to, or reach, or arrive at, or even stumble upon, a conclusion.

You may think your way to a conclusion. You don’t feel it.You’re using the word “feel” fraudulently. You may be gaslighting.

Fraudulent gaslighter.
I like it.
I’ll put that one between my sealion tattoo and my homosapiens tattoo.

Some bathwater should be thrown out, including anything that's in it, know what I mean?

Do agnostics also throw out babies and bathwaters, or are they unconvinced as to whether babies in bathwaters exist or are either known or knowable? Just curious.

Your reply validates my claim. You feel there is nothing of value in that bathwater. Agnostics are as oblivious as theists and atheists are to the baby’s existence, and claim not to know what should be done with the dirty bathwater.

Please name both parents.

Biology and Culture.
Biology gave us the capacity for metaphorical cognition, and Culture gives us the content.

@skado Parenthood of mythology :The first -biology [mother?] has very few mistakes in general produces healthier outcomes except in the hands of carpet baggers who insist on long videos. Culture [ still a loveable dad] produces more bigots and backwaters of true knowledge . Yes together they could work together to produce mythology which for a time was brought up on rules . Mythology has now gone insane. Please help to contain it again.

@Mcflewster
I’m doing what I can.

@skado Very well I must add,!

Throw the baby out with the bathwater? Would that be baby Jesus? Maybe the baby is a figment of people's imagination. The art of imagination is exactly what theism is. Fiction is okay, or becomes dangerous when you make it out to be reality.

“When you make it out to be reality” is the bathwater. The baby is metaphor.

@skado I'm familiar with the metaphor. How does atheism throw the baby out with the bathwater?

@barjoe
I didn’t mean “Throwing the baby out with the bathwater” is metaphor - we all know that. I meant... inside my use of this particular metaphor, the baby represents metaphorical expression itself.

Atheists often (not every atheist) disregard religious metaphors as useless while they are also throwing out the bathwater of religious literalism.

@skado There are annoying people who are atheist. Most people are annoying, regardless of their faith.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578513
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.