Agnostic.com

12 1

Ham and short wave radio

Anyone familiar with short wave international radio broadcasts or ham radio

michaelj 7 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, I've been a ham radio operator and SWL for over 45 years. Love it, lotta fun, And I have talked to over 2,000 people all over the world!

N7EIE Level 6 Apr 26, 2018

Had an old grundig hand held shortwave reciever, it was a lot of fun. How did you start out?

Realistic DX150

I did some fm pirate broadcasting awhile ago. The FCC kinda got mad at me.

JeffB Level 6 Apr 15, 2018

With the internet, the short wave broadcasts have become less interesting - BBC dropped the short wave broadcast to the US many years ago -- but my NPR stations broadcast BBC overnight. On the prairie when I was a kid, had a SW receiver - fascinating - w/ a long line antenna had just as much fun picking up AM broadcasts from the ionespheric skip -- after sunset, I could get Chicago clearer than Denver! Check Amazon for a book of SW stations that broadcast in English - had a copy when I bought a small Grundig for my man cave. The real hoot is tying into the Radio telegraph broadcasts - running them into an 8 bit Baudot converter and reading out the results -- a guy at work did this (tapped into the UP, raw news feed) - and gave us printed out news that never seemed to get in the paper -- quite a guy. The internet has "apps" that tie you directly into your local police/fire/ems broadcasts - eliminating the need for a scanner. Quite a nice hobby though, kinda long for the romance of radio.

Nope.

VA3-GMZ here... I got my ham radio license a couple years ago, mostly because of interest in emergency preparedness. If the grid goes down and there's no cell phone or landlines to be had, first responders (Police, Fire, EMS) go to the amateur radio community for communications. There's an entire disaster recovery protocol that involves ham radio operators...

that is my interest, the amateur radio crowd when all other markets are down and short wave for news

I have a CB in my beast, only used it twice in 10 years during floods. Wish I knew more.

I used to DX and send postcards. I also used to love WRNO SW. I worked SSB into the sequel to my novel SCAPEGOATS. I never had a transmitter, though. One of the coolest things I ever saw was at a BBS eyeball, and the host connected a modem to a BBS via SW.

I never got into it really but have friends that are. They could never understand why I was only interested in music, TV and movies to the extent that I am without getting into ham radio, but I watch almost anything I want free and without commericals.

Green eggs and ham, sorry I couldn't resist.

I know there's a few who've picked up transmissions from all sorts of...shall we say...interesting places. Have you come across some yourself??

I'm just a rookie looking for information right now

Yeah tell me about it. I've heard some weird shit in my day, numbers stations, woodpeckers, pirates, etc. There is a whole sub-set of shortwave listening called utilities that can be strange...

I don’t like ham the meat

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.