Agnostic.com

4 10

LINK Dust From Asteroid That Ended Dinosaur Reign Closes Case on Impact Extinction Theory

This is a generously documented, short article (lots of links). It provides a thoroughly definitive, international, scientific consensus for the link between the impact crater in Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula with the Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction event that happened sixty-six million years ago.

"If you're actually going to put a clock on extinction 66 million years ago, you could easily make an argument that it all happened within a couple of decades, which is basically how long it takes for everything to starve to death."

How did it happen that scientists' theories about the timespan of the Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction event went from millions to thousands of years, and now to a mere two decades?

AnonySchmoose 8 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love they have nailed it

Presumably, the case is closed.

@AnonySchmoose Yes but but i doubt it does completely

@RoyMillar
Isn't that just the way with science. Proven theories can be overturned.

We've know about the iridium layer for an extremely long time now, by way of human history.
1980 was a damed long time ago, at least according to my reflection in the mirror.

Yes, that was long ago. However, scientists needed proof of iridium from the impact crater deep in the Gulf of Mexico. They needed to drill even deeper into the sediment to reach the layer where the iridium from the asteroid would be.

Always believed that good confirmation

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 27, 2021

I believed it too. However, there were always competing theories.
The article removes all doubt about proof that it is no coincidence that the iridium layer on earth and the Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction event happened during the same geological period. What amazes me is that scientists theorize they can narrow it down to within two decades.

Wow: “Dust to dust!” How biblical ... 🙄🤭

I don't think much about biblical stuff.
Probably instead of dust, the word iridium would sound more scientific.

@AnonySchmoose I value and honor the bible as an almost endless source of usable cliches’

@The-Krzyz
Yes, indeed-ie, do!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.