Agnostic.com

13 5

LINK How Many People Did God Kill in the Bible?

A rhetoric based on the book "Drunk With Blood"

snytiger6 9 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Noah's ark. Everyone he didn't like or fall in line with "his' doctrine.

Of course Noah's Ark was a recycled myth from earlier cultures...

How can an non existent being kill anyone? The "kingdom "of heaven is a big clue to authorship for there is no democracy in the kingdom of heaven.

A butt load!!!

Who here won’t read and count?

I won’t.

I've read the bible all the way through once. I don't ever want to do it again. Doing so the first time made me an atheist. No need to repeat the exercise.

thought you guys didnt believe in a God?

The question posed would be similar to asking 'How many people did Hannibal Lecter kill in the book series?" You don't have to believe in Hannibal Lecter to ask or answer the question. In both cases they are both fictional characters who seem to love death.

The point being that if god were real, he loves to kill people or loves to command others to kill people.

@snytiger6 ok, bad frame of reference imo, but fine. might even be for the best i guess.

"The point being that if god were real, he loves to kill people or loves to command others to kill people."
so fwiw i would suggest taking a look at who was "killed," and see the possibility that allegory is being used to make a point, employing a known genre of historical writing that contemporaries would have known better than to read literally. We even have contemporary examples of this, some sportsing club "annihilating" another, etc, but at the time this was a primary historical writing genre, it even has a name

@bbyrd009 If the bible uses allegories then it shoudl be considered to be more literary and not actually a historical record.

As the biblical stories were mostly taken from earlier religions, it is more plagiarism than a record of actual history.

WTF, do i need to believe in Batman to count the number of criminals he has "brought to justice"?

@snytiger6 “ If the bible uses allegories then it shoudl be considered to be more literary and not actually a historical record”
word
“As the biblical stories were mostly taken from earlier religions, it is more plagiarism than a record of actual history”
i would say that that is not even in doubt; the first five of the decalogue are from Hammurabi (king of Babylon)
[biblicalhistoricalcontext.com]
(“putting away childish things” )

@AnneWimsey sorry, guess im not getting your point Anne. But mine was that Conquest Genre was a pop form then, and no one was killed, almost surely, as the link i posted to sny discusses

How many numbers you know?

none, im pretty sure. its crap

Did he close up thesea on an army chasing Moses? I have never read it. I may be wrong and probably other examples. Maybe a good question to ask a preacher.

yeh, but we know where the Reed Sea is, and despite a fake sighting or two, no armies or chariots are buried there i guess. And believers tried real hard to find them, too

which bible?

g

As far as I know, every single person mentioned in the bible is now dead. He killed them all. Every last one. Bastard.

Sure nuff!! He even killed the Virgin Mary after she was kind enough to have his bastard child!! What a douche bag……🙏😇🙏

All of them.

Apparently not enough!!!

The book of lies........Fairy tales.

God killed actuality none. According to the Bible, a lot.

A more important question then is how many people have been murdered because of the bigotry in the Bible - we know that it led to vast numbers of experts in herbal medicine being drowned or burned at the stake, but can we put specific numbers to that or pin down a range of possibilities with minimum and maximum values?

@David_Cooper millions maybe billions

@David_Cooper how about the Crusades?

@AnneWimsey Xtians repeatedly got their asses handed to them huh narf

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:579211
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.