Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Here’s Why Surveys Are Still Lowballing the Percentage of Non-Religious Americans | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

If you’ve paid any attention to surveys that ask what religion people are, you know the responses depend a lot on how the questions are worded. Consistency matters. Not being prodded to say “Christian” by default matters. Who’s doing the asking matters.

So when you’re trying to find out what percentage of Americans are non-religious, there are a lot of factors you need to consider.

No one has dug as deeply into this as the ever-prolific Ryan P. Burge of Eastern Illinois University, who just posted about two major data sets he’s been analyzing for a while: the General Social Survey (GSS), which has gone out at least every two years since 1972, and the Cooperative Congressional Election Study (CCES), which has been around since 2006.

snytiger6 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Surveys are geared to get you to say "well, I believe in something" and most of them are taken by religious people. That makes non-believers misrepresented from the beginning.

Surveys can be biased

Lots of ways to ask a question to get the answers that are hoped for by the funders of the surveys, I suppose, if there is a reason to wish for a desired outcome.

I think half the people sitting in a church don't believe. They go along with it for family.

Makes sense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.