Agnostic.com

16 10

I just got married! My wife has a business in which she is known for her name as much as her Business name. She has many certifications, insurance, and many other things that would be time consuming and expensive for her to change her name. I on the other hand have only four things to change and it will cost nothing.
This being said, it told her it would be much easier and better for her business for me to take her name. I am now David Page. What do you think of this somewhat unorthodox decision?

DavidLaDeau 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Congrats ,well done ,personally I think i would have hyphonated both last names for your self but the just used David page as your signature ,which would keep your ancestra identity

I think it's great, Mr Page. She's a lucky lass and you a lucky gent. Congratulations.

Well done. Congratulations.

This sort of thing is becoming more common.
Was just listening to an interview with Rosa Bloom.
Apparently that previously her nickname but she built a business under that name and when she got married both her and her husband changed their surname to Bloom by deed poll to use as their married name.

Sounds good and quite fair, as well as liberated, to me. I support other non-conformists. I had my gay best friend serve as my best man at my wedding. Needless to say, my conservative, Catholic homophobic father did not approve..

I thought you had given up on us ignorant folk. We probably haven’t changed much; our six month probation isn’t even up yet. 😃

[agnostic.com]

skado Level 9 Mar 10, 2021

I am saddened by the fact that you feel the need to explain this so deeply.....it is Past time since 1950!

I love u

If it’s important to you that you both have the same last name, then great. Though many couples these days just keep their own name.

My wife and I did that. Made the divorce easier on her, I imagine.

Nothing. If it was the best thing to do for you and your wife, it's fine. I just wish you many happy years together!

I think if you lived in several European countries like Spain or Norway you would just both take another last name. In Norway when a child is born the parents can choose which surname they want to give it. My friends chose the maternal surname because it was a more famous Norwegian name.

Congratulations on choosing the most practical name.

Bravo!

When I got married, I kept my birth name. The tradition of brides taking their husband's last name dates back to when wives were their husband's property.

I don’t get it . Y she can’t keep her name and u can keep yours ? What’s the big deal besides if u are going to reproduce ?

Part of my business is having newlywed couples declare the spellings of their names as they wish them to be after marriage. There are many women and men who keep their names as they were before marriage, but a somewhat small percentage change their name to their female spouse's name. In your case, I think it makes perfect sense, if you want to share a name for it to be hers, since she has an identity with her business. Often, here in Hawaii anyway, one spouse will keep their original last name as a 2nd middle name and add an new name. (Especially if the new name carries more clout or shows Hawaiian lineage.)

Very similar to some European countries.

Nothing wrong with that. Congrats.

I would just keep my old name. She could keep her professional name but it's your choice.

Congratulations!

As to your decision to take her name, I think that you sound very reasonable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.