Agnostic.com

7 13

WHO: 1 in 3 women experience physical or sexual violence.

One in three women experience sexual or physical violence – most likely from their intimate partner, according to a report from the World Health Organization.

The report, called the first of its kind, estimates the global toll of such violence on women at 35.6%. In a statement, Dr. Margaret Chan, the director-general of WHO, described it as a “global health problem of epidemic proportions.”

Women who have been physically and sexually abused are more likely to contract HIV/AIDS, to have an abortion, to get depression, injuries, alcohol use disorders and pregnancy complications, according to the WHO report.

About 38% of all murdered women are killed by an intimate partner (compared with 6% of all murdered men).

Violence against women should not be considered as isolated events, but rather a “pattern of behavior that violates the rights of women and girls,” the authors wrote.

Conservative men are mad because the prancing, lecherous Pepe le Pew skunk cartoon character was canceled in a new movie. Pepe was basically a stalker who would never accept "no" from a woman.

Show empathy and sensitivity toward women.

ME, TOO.

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have 3 sons and I’m raising them to be feminists. I’m so sick of abuse against women.

This has to change,men have to change ,mens behaviour patterns start early so they can be trained from Birth to respect women ,more parents need to do this for the world to change

The statistics in Aussie are 1 in 3 women who live in rural areas and 1 in 4 women who live in urban areas. It is a terrifying thought to know that if you're sitting down with 4 women the chances are extremely high that one of them has been sexually abused. It is even scarier when you have 3 sisters. I don't know what the answer is, but these levels of offending point to a systemic problem within our society, rather than individual abberations although that doesn't absolve the individual of responsibility. We need to develop greater understandings of the attitudes within our culture which allow men to objectify women and work seriously to change them.

Whilst I do think the Abuse of Men by women is an important issue to confront, it has no equivalency to the abuse of woman we see in the world today. The WHO is a global organization and is right to address violence against women as an issue in itself.

An example of this is Afghanistan. More than half of the female prison inmates in Afghanistan are incarcerated because of so-called "moral crimes". Many of them are accused of adultery only because they suffered rape. And there is a tradition of handing young woman over as "gifts" to hostile tribes in order to settle disputes.

The US and it's NATO Allies in Europe spent the best part of 2 decades in Afghanistan and Failed to address womens rights in a substantive way. Shame on them.

Yes, I agree that Domestic Violence and all forms of Abuse against women IS a MASSIVE World-wide problem.
However, there IS also a BIG problem that very RARELY rates even the SLIGHTEST of mentions, that is the problem where MEN are also subjected to Domestic Violence and Abuse FROM women.
We hear about the Violence and Abuse that women receive regularly because,

1. it is reported and acted upon by Police and Authorities, in most cases, and thus becomes a news worthy story,
  2. in our society, women are ENCOURAGED to speak out when victimized.
    However and sadly and most unfortunately also in our society there IS the arcane ideology that says to a man who is a victim of Violence/Abuse, etc, "Suck it up", "take it like a man", "handle it yourself", and even, "stop whining like a girl and be a man" when ever a male ATTEMPTS to report such things as have made HIM the victim.
    Men, sadly, when faced with being the Victims of Domestic Violence/Abuse rarely EVER report it, instead they simply either crawl away and hide it OR eventually end up committing suicide as the very last resort.
    When such a case occurs it IS usually put down as being merely another MALE suicide and rates little or NO media time, effort or being classed as News Worthy Material UNLESS he, regrettably, sadly and unfortunately makes HIS death a Murder-Suicide, then and ONLY does it receive any media attention.
    IMO, WE should ALL try to remember that " EVERY Sword cuts BOTH ways" and this is MOST DEFINITELY not just a single sided problem.

You said that "We hear about the Violence and Abuse that women receive regularly because, it is reported and acted upon by Police and Authorities, in most cases, and thus becomes a news worthy story".
I am sure there are plenty of Women in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan that might disagree with that. There have also been many cases of Women being Gang raped on buses and public transport in India right in front of other passengers. And I don't think this is something that is happening to men.

Gang rape is MOST DEFINITELY a single sided problem

According to statistics, a woman is raped in India every 20 minutes.

India is the most dangerous place to be a woman, according to a survey by the Thomson Reuters Foundation, and the stark reality of this is evident far to often. As well as the famous Hyderabad case, there was the abduction, gang rape and murder of a young lawyer in Jharkhand, the rape and murder of a 55-year-old cloth seller in Delhi, and a teenager in the state of Bihar was gang raped and killed, before her body was set on fire.

The good news is Women in India are fighting for reform and Justice. And so are men fighting for justice. Unfortunately this will not be so common in other countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan where most men do not view rape as a serious crime

Perhaps you can make a post about how abused men are, rather than commandeering a woman's post.

@Deb57 BY NO means was I attempting to "override" any discussion/s re- women or women being abused FYI.
I was merely putting across that it NOT simply a singular thing where both men and women become victims and suffer from and with it, regrettably.
How many pages would YOU like me contribute from my life story as a Victim and a Survivor of Abuse and Violence as a child and later as a man and husband?

@Triphid perhaps, as you claim, you were not attempting to do so, but that's exactly what you did. Everyone already understands it's not a singular thing, and that occasionally a man experiences abuse, but it's certainly tone deaf as hell to redirect a topic to make something all about yourself. That's why I suggested you make your own post about your story.

@Deb57 Perhaps you may like me start from when, later as a Trainee Male Nurse, I learned that my mother had tried to self-abort myself and my twin brother but ONLY managed to kill my brother whose tiny, dead body was found in my hand when I was born?
Maybe you'd like to hear how it was she managed to 'space out' the births of her 5 living children to 1 every 5 years and 4 months approximately when there were NO contraceptives available for women at the time?
I can explain that to you quite easily btw, in her own words she INFORMED me when she THOUGHT that she may be dying in September, 1998 how she "would have 4 other children, i.e. 1 pregnancy between each the 5 of us ACTUALLY survived long enough to be born and live that is, by self-aborting at least 1 pregnancy between each of us.
Or, perhaps, how she blamed the defects suffered by my youngest sister, the last of her pregnancies btw, defects such as Mental Disabilities, Renal Disfunctions, etc, etc, on the Umbilical cord RATHER than her 3 repeated and failed self-abortion attempts.

@Deb57 "Occasionally" you say?
I've been a Crisis Counsellor for well over 20+ years now, helping both children, youths, males and females and I can attest to aiding, counselling, etc, on average just as many Abused Males as I have females, a quick search through my records and files would say that the averages are very much on a par with each other, though male suicides due to abuse from females, either Domestic or other-wise ARE at a level of rating of 5 for males and to 1 for females.
Though I OFFICIALLY retired from being both a Psychologist and a Crisis Counsellor in June, 2016, I still do it on a Gratis, Pro bono basis and am on call 24/7/ 365 days per year still.

@dermot235 Yes, I agree with you somewhat, especially when it comes down to the horrific ways in which women are maltreated in the countries you have mentioned.
They SICKEN me to the very Core of being.
I was brought up by my father to ALWAYS, Honour, Respect and show decency, kindness, etc, etc, to women and girls no matter what others said or thought since, simply, WITHOUT them WE would NOT be here.
In 1972 when I decided to start my working career and start training as a Nurse, i copped ALL kinds of verbal ' shit ' and abuse from BOTH side of the Gender Divide but I did NOT let that deter me.
Even when, as a Trainee Nurse, I was EXPECTED to do both the tasks that are a part of being a Nurse, I was ALSO expected to do, with out questioning, the tasks delegated to Male Wards men and, for which I got paid $21.57 per week LESS than my Female Counterparts.
I worked EXACTLY the same number ofv hours per, per week as my Female counterparts and, more often than NOT, got the dirtiest of the dirt jobs to boot.

@Triphid I'm very sorry you experienced abuse. I say "occasionally" because adult men experience a small fraction of abuse in comparison to what adult women experience from men. But you found a way to make it about you, so there you are. It's about you now.

@Deb57 Sorry to 'burst your bubble" here BUT by no means was my intent to make it solely "about me" as you so claim.
I was, however, using my own abuse history as an EXAMPLE.
Be well prepared to be sickened at the following IF you dare to read it.
From my sadly copious files here,
January, 29th, 2001, a young man, shall we call him him "Joe," since I WILL NOT use his ACTUAL name, rings me at 10.30pm threatening suicide.
Case # 1 of the many.
Even though I AM going through the Grieving Processes from the recent loss of my own Daughter to cancer, I attend him where he is and we talk.
His problem, As a child , a young child, he wet his bed at night as most young children so often do.
HER, solution, apply an Elastrator Ring to the top THRID of his penis BEFORE he goes to bed one night.
The NEXT morning, "Joe" awakens to find the TOP third of his PENIS is now blackened and DEAD.
For the intervening years "Joe" has ALWAYS hidden himself away when needing to urinate, MUST ALWAYS sit or squat to urinate, has always been ashamed/afraid that OTHERS might see his 'strange looking penis.
Now, "Joe" finds that he is deeply in love with a girl around his own age, hormones surge on both sides of the romance BUT " Joe" cannot truly respond since his penis is nowhere near what it should be thanks to his 'loving mother.'
"Joe" now finds himself in an Emotional and Mental "HELL' not of his OWN making, th ONLY solution he can see in the dark hole that is his life is to die.
Yes, "Joe" is alive today, "Joe" was also fortunate that he both JUSTICE in that FINALLY his 'mother' was Charged and Prosecuted for her Acts of Abuse AND that a very kindly and Understanding Plastic Surgeon managed, after 2 failed attempts btw, to GRAFT on to his Brutalized and Savaged penis the 'missing' top one third from an Organ Donor.
" Joe is now married, has 2 young children and ALSO has a penis that functions as you can guess by him being the Father of his 2 children.
Case # 2 of my many and a somewhat recent cases as well.
" Bel" or Belinda as she now calls herself, birth name Hamish.
A Pubescent Girl/Woman trapped by both her parents and the Catholic School she attends in a MALE body.
"Bel" starts developing somewhat prominent BREASTS, her genitalia only bear a very slight resemblance to those of a male, so her parents decide that she MUST bind her growing breasts as tightly as possible to HIDE them.
"Bel" eventually rebels and dons female attire, which she has stolen from her sister, one day at school, an UP-ROAR occurs from the School Principal, etc, the parents are summoned, " Bel" is given the 'choices (???)' of either Remain as a Girl Trapped in a body of a boy OR face Expulsion and Excommunication of her and her whole family.
Later, I am contacted by "Bel" who is in a very desperate, very traumatized state asking desperately for my help.
Bel has been disowned and rejected by her parents, is now homeless, without family and possibly friends as well.
I meet with her, talk with her, then call in a few favours and find her a place to live with a Gender Re-assigned couple I know and trust well.
Bel eventually reports her story to the Police, the School Principal and her parents are charged with Acts of Child Abuse and convicted.
Even though LEGALLY Underage, Bel is granted the Right to disown her Parents, is now LEGALLY Adopted by the Gender Re-assigned Couple and GIVEN the right to chose for herself IF she wishes to undergo the Hormone therapies and the ultimate Gender Re-assignment Surgeries as well.
Bel HAS made her choices, SHE is undergoing the Hormone Treatments, no longer binds her growing breasts to keep them hidden, etc, wears female attire ALWAYS and, for all intents and purposes, looks Female and very feminine as well.
How is your stomach feeling at this very moment?
WOULD you like to hear more perhaps?
No need to worry, I have far, far more than ample to go around.

@Triphid I have worked as an advocate for abused children for many years. A few of them were trans girls and boys. Your story affects me less than what I have actually seen, but it does sadden me. Still, how you spin all this to rationalize your redirecting a story about men being abused is both rude and tone deaf. If you felt it needed to be shared, you could have posted it elsewhere instead of commandeering a woman's post and insulting her in the process. Your need to take over the stage is what I addressed initially, and what I am still addressing. I am intolerant of this sort of manipulative behavior and I call it out. Your bid for attention and insistence upon upstaging the original post is still inappropriate.

@Deb57 Oh really, those were only the 'softer' ones you should have asked for the really tough, the ones that really do keep me awake some nights remembering the poor children and people I've tried so hard to help.

No physical or sexual violence, but I have had more than my share of psychological violence/abuse.

I heard a story years ago of a college level class - I don't remember if the story even said what class it was.
The instructor started by drawing a line down the center of the board at the front of the room then asked the class for examples of things they did to keep themselves safe when they left home -- keep to a safety schedule, always bring a companion, carry mace, keep a fist full of keys sticking out, whatever.
They put all the examples girls gave on one side of the line and all the boys examples on the other. Pretty quickly the girls side of the line completely filled up but the boys side had nothing.
With no effort at all the exercise showed a huge, dramatic, difference.

Our society has very different rules and norms for different genders. It's tragic but at the moment it's a dominant reality. We have a long ways to go -- starting with education.
We have many bigotries and prejudices and gender biases way too often get overlooked.

@RichCC

An excellent example. Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.