Agnostic.com

5 6

LINK The Confederacy was a con job on whites. And still is.

By Frank Hyman

I’ve lived 55 years in the South, and I grew up liking the Confederate flag. I haven’t flown one for many decades, but for a reason that might surprise you.

I know the South well. We lived wherever the Marine Corps stationed my father: Georgia, Virginia, the Carolinas. As a child, my favorite uncle wasn’t in the military, but he did pack a . 45 caliber Thompson submachine gun in his trunk. He was a leader in the Ku Klux Klan. Despite my role models, as a kid I was an inept racist. I got in trouble once in the first grade for calling a classmate the N-word. But he was Hispanic.

As I grew up and acquired the strange sensation called empathy (strange for boys anyway), I learned that for black folks the flutter of that flag felt like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. And for the most prideful flag waivers, clearly that response was the point. I mean, come on. It’s a battle flag.

What the flag symbolizes for blacks is enough reason to take it down. But there’s another reason that white southerners shouldn’t fly it. Or sport it on our state-issued license plates as some do here in North Carolina. The Confederacy – and the slavery that spawned it – was also one big con job on the Southern, white, working class. A con job funded by some of the ante-bellum one-per-centers, that continues today in a similar form.

You don’t have to be an economist to see that forcing blacks – a third of the South’s laborers – to work without pay drove down wages for everyone else. And not just in agriculture. A quarter of enslaved blacks worked in the construction, manufacturing and lumbering trades; cutting wages even for skilled white workers.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is Not a "battle flag"!!!!!!!! It was invented by KKK leaders after the Civil War solely to intimidate black ex-slaves. Period!

Yeah. So? Because those whites are too stupid to see that we should maybe include them in reparations or something? /s I don't mean to be rude but this strikes me as a white appeal to equal victimhood using a self-perpetuated excuse. Ignorance. I'm not biting.

Unfortunately money and power talks and little has changed over the centuries. We still have the same old crap today and tRumpism is total proof. Those with the power to control the dialogue will always spin their version. The basic spin test is, who stands to gain. Actually it was the southern politicians that saw their way of life failing as more and more non-slave dependent states coming into the fold. The politicians tried to force the government to force every other new state to become a slave state in order not to water down the south's tradition. It was, in a big way a state's rights plan but not as we today would have it. The Norther states saw this and would have nothing to do with it. The government was willing to let the south keep it's slaves but that was not good enough.

Thank you for a new angle from which I can argue against the trump-klan.

Excellent article. I posted it on my FB page.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581541
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.