Agnostic.com

2 0

Australia extends tech giant probe to Google and Apple browser domination

The ACCC is concerned with the choice of browser options afforded to Australians.

[zdnet.com]

FearlessFly 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Though I’m USian I fail to see the problem. On my iPhone I use Safari but also read blogs in Firefox because it handles ad-infested sites better. I have Opera but don’t use it as much. Duck Duck Go is also an available browser. It’s not that Apple is preventing these browsers in the App Store. I never encounter issues where default browser settings are relevant.

This next para is telling (and very counter-narrative IMO): “This shifts on desktop, with Chrome being the most used browser with 62% market share, followed by Safari with 18%, Edge 9%, and Mozilla 6%.”

I assume Microsoft Windows is the dominant desktop OS. So Chrome accounting for 62% and Edge only 9% violates expectations. Plus isn’t Edge now based on a Chromium engine? It is not the case then, if I’m interpreting the numbers correctly, that Microsoft is imposing Internet Exploder on customers to the detriment of Netscape anymore. Firefox is an option, though not popular apparently.

These days I’d think it more a case of enduser education about options than defaults, which at least in Windows can be changed.

I recall when I was using Linux that Chromium was preferable to Chrome, but can’t think off top of my head if Chromium had a less convenient enduser experience versus Google branded Chrome.

I think the hot issue now is Apple being in the crosshairs of tech giants like Facebook for obvious reasons of Zuck’s modus operandi...commodification of endusers. Apple has the moral high ground there. Zuck’s behavior at Harvard was enough for me to take a hard pass on his product.

DDG is a search-engine NOT a browser.
A lot of browsers are Chromium based :
[en.wikipedia.org]

[quora.com]

Firefox is NOT based on Chromium

[mashable.com]

“Taking it a step further, Weinberg believes the DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser could help point the way toward a future where privacy is the default — not the exception.”

[engadget.com]

“Over the past couple of years, the privacy-focused browser DuckDuckGo has been compiling a data set of web trackers.”

I said Edge (not Firefox) is Chromium based.

@FearlessFly
Just checked and DDG for iOS has a setting to make it default browser.

@Scott321 That is an iOS app (also available as a browser extension) :
[duckduckgo.com]
[addons.mozilla.org]

I routinely hear folks refer to Google as their 'browser'. 😛

Until I see DDG actually claim that it is a browser, I maintain it is a search engine

1. Force Apple to port Safari to Android
  2. Force Google to make Opera the default browser on Android
  3. Force Microsoft to make Firefox the default browser on Windows

. . . problem solved 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.