Agnostic.com

4 16

FROM RED COMET, BIOGRAPHY OF SYLVIA PLATH: in a 1952 paper for her religion class at Smith, man was born without purpose in a neutral universe, without inherent morals and was responsible for his own destiny. There was no afterlife. His mind may live on, as it were, in books, his flesh may continue in his children. That is all. There is no god to care. called herself an agnostic humanist.

Healthydoc70 7 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not know why she was a suicide. I do know that her statements as listed here are all we can come to with logic and evidence. If you personally believe we live on after death in any form please provide some evidence. The old argument that energy lives on in some other form and we are energy isn't proof enough for me.

no one knows where they go when they die huh

she calls herself an agnostic, but makes statements of fact as if they were truth? ok
and she is a suicide to boot?
priceless

It is implied that no contrary evidence exists. Actually, circumstances are worse than she says.

@racocn8 meh, glass half empty i bet, and i guess one can define "agnostic" however they like eh. What is a gnostic?

A gnostic is one who pretends to know what everyone knows is unknowable.

Also, someone who lies to oneself and hopes to be indifferent to their own dishonesty.

@racocn8 "A gnostic is one who pretends to know what everyone knows is unknowable."
"man was born without purpose in a neutral universe"
"calls herself an agnostic humanist"
although id wanna see the work to see if she qualified her statements any kind of way; prolly not though

fwiw i agree with the likelyhood of many of her statements, which the Bible does too, no one has ever gone up to heaven, etc, and again i might be mis-character izing her based upon incomplete quotes maybe

@racocn8 ah, biography, not auto-. German is the most beautiful language she ever heard? Yikes

WOW Dude. Here we go again. Take some adderall and get back to me. Like anyone, these are statements that line up with her life experience. not yours. learn how not to be an insufferable Troll. No one gives a crap what you think except you. Spare us.

@Healthydoc70 you still got buttons huh healthydoc? The point was that statements make one a gnostic, ok? And ive already qualified those, as ive never heard or read any of her direct statements anyway, words could be put into her mouth, etc
yikes and im even talking to someone else lol, not you bro
and wadr i don't even give that much of a crap about what i think 🙂

love her for being anti-fascist, would like to hear some of her poetry now, gnostic or not. The agnostic label im struggling to get, but meh
wouldnt a suicide by def be a gnostic?

btw theres a way for fragile flowers to block other ppl here, sounds like that might suit you in this case; i think if you click on my profile maybe? And best wishes to you ok

@racocn8 "Actually, circumstances are worse than she says"
how so? ty

"His mind may live on, as it were, in books, his flesh may continue in his children." Nothing lives on. People misinterpret the books left behind. Humanity will be extinct soon and nothing matters. As if the presence of a god could confer mattering... Yeah? How? Mattering is just another 'why', a semantic self-referencing paradox.

@racocn8 ok, interesting, ty; gnosticism is tuff, huh? (ACTUALLY, circumstances ARE...)

the end does mind me of ourselves, building our own egos. Remember when you didnt recognize your"self" in a mirror? me neither!

"Humanity will be extinct soon" hmm, ok then
hedge your bets there imo k

I love Sylvia Plath and her poetry. I used to teach literature and poetry, etc. I had a class of freshmen HS students and had introduced them to Sylvia. I had told them about her husband as well - past British poet Laureate Ted Hughes. Hughes, an excellent poet, was an abusive ass. His 2nd wife killed herself the same way Sylvia did. Anyway, the next class day, my students came in and said, "we refuse to study Ted Hughes, anyone else is fine, but not him." I was whatevered. Lots of good poets to teach. Being curious, I asked why. They had decided that he was a murderer and two wives dying the same way was too much to let pass.

think Sylvia was so superior to most people with a hypersensitivity that caused her to feel as if she were not measuring up. She was attracted to Ted for his poetic mind, but had the beast side and she was terrified of becoming a conventional wife to a conventional man. Will see. Still have 700 pages to go, so I may return. Find the book interesting in part because I worked in Wellesley for a time and know the Hospital and the library. Also lived next to Smith in 1970 and frequented the bookstore and the lovely lake. Oddly attended a live performance of Mozart Requiem 2 years ago at Smith.

German poetry, now there's an oxymoron for ya! English cuisine, anyone?

could you maybe post a poem that moved you? as i'm really just being evil lol

@bbyrd009 Here again?? What a dickk you are. Go read Goethe or Rilke.

@Healthydoc70 ah well i did admit to being evil there 🙂
and i think few would agree that german is very nice to hear coming off the tongue eh
im german btw
sounds like a car wreck?

For her religion class? I wonder what the reaction was? That's chutzpah!

During that time.
My daughter did her first year at s catholic university and had freshman religion. It was a good university, although hearing her religion class experience, I wondered about the instructor. My daughter got an A. In the first class the instructor said something about thinking every one was a xtion. My daughter raised her hand and said no. She said she was a Unitarian. The instructor didn't know what they were. So, my daughter explained.

@Beowulfsfriend You must be very proud of your daughter.

@Beowulfsfriend Sylvia would tell people she was Unitarian. Worked for a Xtian Scientist babysitting one summer on the cape. I have cousins who are xtian Scientists and I attended the church for a time. As Sylvia opined, her employer was very kind and unlike other so-called xtians she knew. She went to Smith with Maureen Buckley, sister to William. Sylvia had things to say about the Catholics.

@Healthydoc70 my kinda girl tbh

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581976
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.