Agnostic.com

2 4

"Everything we do is for the purpose of altering consciousness. We form friendships so that we can feel certain emotions, like love, and avoid others, like loneliness. We eat specific foods to enjoy their fleeting presence on our tongues. We read for the pleasure of thinking another person's thoughts."
Sam Harris

Travel1 5 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do things to feel better and some things because I have to.

@Travel1 No. Who is he?

@Travel1 Okay. Thanks.

I know Sam Harris is a neuroscientist that has sold millions of books and has his on podcasts etc., so who am I to disagree with this man. Well, I'm only me, and I still disagree. I don't believe we do things in order to feel emotions, like love, friendship, etc. I think we make these bonds because we feel certain emotions, not the other way around. And I'm not sure how we could alter our consciousness because our consciousness is only aware of stimuli. We can alter the stimuli, but our consciousness is just recording. So what's your question?

When you get bit by a bug, it itches. Your body has you scratch it. That releases endorphins. So your body has you scratch and scratch. Your skin is ripped and bleeding, but the endorphins manipulate your mind to ignore it. After the endorphins waste away, then you feel stupid.

When we were discussing the AI scenario, I brought this idea that with the lack of emotion so much is moot. It’s the emotions that trigger other emotional reactions. And aren’t we in a way conditioned to react to certain feelings certain ways?

@silvereyes The initial emotions have no incentive.

@Annaleda "Everything we do is for the purpose of altering consciousness." Your remarks altered mine. I need a butterfly net!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5825
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.