Agnostic.com

20 6

Who else was indoctrinated as a child, but left their parent's religion?

I was indoctrinated as a child. I stopped believing in god at age 10. I just went along with my family's religion to please them. I didn't believe in god anymore. I was a closeted atheist. Then, I didn't know there was a word for what I didn't believe in. Last December, my friend helped me come out as an atheist. Almost has been one year as a open atheist!

Sarahroo29 8 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I only discuss my lack of beliefs among my few non-religious and atheist friends as I have a lot of religious friends and I don’t want to have a confrontation with them about their religion.

I did. My parents had a mixed religious background and they decided we all belonged in a Pentecostal church. I must have been 12 or so at the time. By age 17 they had me believing I was going to be a big evangelist. This caused me much heartache later. Eventually I came out atheist. Nobody gets it that you are the religion that you were raised in. Then there are so many different religions and denominations. Which one is true? Well, the one that is true is the one you were raised up in. That's what makes it true to you. Feelings and experiences make it all true to you as well. Nobody ever thinks that gods are imaginary. This is the true story of religion. It has no power over me today. It is total nonsense. You are born and a book is going to tell you all about your life and how you must live it, and a god you must worship. That's insane. Just live your life.

I'd think that be most of us here...

godef Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

Yes.

Raised Catholic but never truly believed

Good for you.

I see you are getting tons of responses to this post as I believe this how most people end up as atheists, skeptics, agnostics etc.
My story is very different from the ones I have read. I was raised in a Jewish household, not really strict though. Grew up in a small non Jewish town so growing up was not fun especially when my parents kept me out of school on holidays . Always felt like a an outcast from an early age. When I did go to the temple I always had no idea what the hell was going on. It was just mumbo jumbo to me and nothing was ever explained. I honestly hated it. Also thought it was strange when my father would not say or write the word "Christmas "- he always wrote X-mas. My parents fought on a daily basis and this is another thing that turned me away from religion. My mother was verbally abusive on a daily basis. It was like if this is what religion and being Jewish is about I don't want any part of it. I don't have fond childhood memories.
"Praying" always seemed very weird to me and I really questioned all the religious stuff by the time I was in high school. It didn't help matters much when I dated the local Presbyterian ministers daughter in high school. I got into arguments with him on more than one occasion about god, good and evil, etc. I can't tell you how many times I heard that god gave man "free will". The "free will" thing gives god a pass every time. I thought it was such BS then and obviously still do. Ended up marrying a baptist girl ( civil ceremony) but religion was pretty much downplayed, although we have had our differences. We basically don't discuss religion. We do the gift exchange, but I just go with the flow this time of year --just always glad when it's over. Sorry for venting, but I've always wanted to talk about this and I have always missed the girlfriend that I I had in college. We had a brother/sister type relationship and we could talk about anything.

Thanks for sharing.

Me. But I can't claim to have been a 'member'.

We were a big family (I am the eldest -sounds better than oldest). My dad was a convert to Catholicism and mom just went along. We were sent to Parochial elementary school which meant mass every day and on Sundays. The only time we got in trouble was if we messed up in church. Some of us would try and delay going but dad would take us anyway. It became really embarrassing for this large family to march, late, right down the center aisle with everybody looking. We learned quickly that that delay tactic didn't work. We moved to CA and no more parochial school but there was Sunday school which I finally got out of by taking dancing classes (my mom felt I needed the social skills - which I still do - more than religion and she won.
I have to say we were a 'freerange' family and my parents and even nuns at school were not too strict so I never really got any negative feelings and it was too easy to go along. Only later with knowledge and questioning did I finally leave. Out of 7 kids only one sister follows religion (Jehova's Witness). The rest of us are all atheists.

Wow.

My father was a strict Baptist minister. Couldn't dance, drink go to shows, wear makeup, and of course hold hands with boys. If it was fun - it must be a sin. LOL Didn't go to church after I got married an left home. When my daughter came out to me 40 yrs. ago I was shocked and did research and discovered there was nothing wrong with her. It was society which needed educating. At that time we joined PFLAG at Unitarian Church. Started going there and discovered we were agnostic and borderline atheists.

Cool.

My Baptist upbringing never felt like indoctrination to me, even now, looking back on it. The family wore their faith more in their hearts than on their tongues. We virtually never discussed it. Mom took us to church most Sundays; Dad might come on Easter. My early teens saw me losing interest. Nobody treated me differently. The literalism of my youth has mellowed to a deepening appreciation for the symbolic meaning of an ancient social art-form. I no longer participate in the social part but have developed a private, personal practice, aimed at maintaining daily emotional clarity, sans ghosties.

skado Level 9 Dec 1, 2017

Cool.

I was immersed in it from the time I was a baby, until I moved out on my own. When I think back on it, I don't think I could have truly believed it, or I would have feared Hell enough to stay involved in it. Long story short, the more I learned, the less I believed. Especially when it came to the Bible.

The more I learned, the less I believed.

Hmm, well I never really grew up in a Christian home. I do, however remember seeing my mom going to church and going a few times as a child with her. I can remember my dad hardly ever going to church with her on Sunday's, let alone bible study. I don't know how to describe my household growing up cause all I remember is always seeing my dad relaxing at home on Sunday when my mom was getting ready, even though there was probably a few times he did go to church. But I do remember getting scared at 5 when hearing about he devil and hell and how at age 9 I think I knew more than likely it was all b.s.

That is cool.

religion and Santa Claus are similar decisions should be made using scientific method neither one can being believed as we obtain more and more data and knowledge to realize neither one is probably not true. we learned at young age Santa Claus was not true but for many people religion cannot be dismissed at an early age or even throughout their life very small percentage of the population is agnostic or atheist. I believe that education continues more and more people will become agnostic or atheist which may be a good thing for the planet earth.

dc65 Level 7 Nov 29, 2017

More millennials are becoming secular. As well as the newer generation.

I was raised mostly Conservative Baptist and was a true Bible believer. I left organized religion in my late twenties/early thirties and soon thereafter began a journey away from religion. It took about ten years before I began to identify as an atheist.

I'm 29 and I learned at a younger age due to life tragedies.

I was brought up a nice little Catholic boy. But by the time I reached high school age, I had grown tired of the dogma and Sunday school, and refused to attend any more services.

Oh, okay.

I was.. Italian that I am, i was forced to adore this woman that had Sex of of wedlock, then convince some sucker to raise her kid, only to have the guy die and she had to raise him alone. He went on to be a revolutionary and was murdered for his sins, but he died for other sins, but not mine, because what is the definition of sin?
Anyway oh, they tried to brainwash me back then but who knew? So when my son was born, I did not take him to church, I did not force Jesus on him, and if I ever I did religion, I did all of them for him so you could have a choice. Did this day he's an apathetic agnostic which is to say, he doesn't know and he doesn't care... I think I did a good job

Oh, okay.

My mother tried to raise me as a Christian but my father taught me how to think for myself. I left the church at 12 and came out as an Atheist at 15.

Good.

Thumbs up to your dad. He stepped up cause he knew what was going on and didn't want his child brainwashed.

Raised to believe in God but parents were never strict about it and encouraged me to read. Now they are a lot more religious and hate my open atheism.

I like it.

I hide it from my mom, she thinks that without religion you can't have any morals

I get this a lot. I am not saying to say this to your mom, but when I am offered this argument I often remind them that God literally played a practical joke on Abraham to where he almost killed his own son. If that is morals, i am glad I don't have them.

and thanks Sarah, I like your atheism as well.

I was indoctrinated into southern babtist faith of Christianity. Pushed by a strict southern babtist home life.

Oh.

Most of us, including me, went through the process of learning not to believe (in terms of religion) what our parents believe.

Yep.

Baptized into the Lutheran faith as an infant. Raised by Lutheran mother and Catholic stepfather which was just as mixed up as it sounds. At the age of 12 I was smart enough to know better than to buy into any more lies and came out as a non believer to my family. At first they were condescending and thought it was funny, that I couldn't possibly know what I was talking about. Since then, its turned into resentment and I'm treated as a second class citizen at best.

I am outed in my family.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5829
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.