Agnostic.com

3 6

I’m not sure if many of you know this but my brother had cerebral palsy. He passed away when I was 16.

I had tweeted about the Netflix documentary Crip Camp and how I wished my brother had had the chance to experience a sense of community like they did and a reporter reached out to me for a video they could share on their show! This is really exciting to me because my brother, Daniel, had such a huge impact on who I am today & I’m happy to share even a small portion of that!

I’m about 19 minutes and 20 seconds in. Here it is for anyone that would like to watch:

1EarthLovingGal 7 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's a beautiful contribution you've made on behalf of your brother.

My mother was a member of the Rotary Club before women could be members. Every Rotary Club has a cause, and their cause was handicapped children. They sponsored a summer camp for handicap kids. It is called Camp Haccamo. [camphaccamo.org]

They raised money for the camp by having a "Big Band" band. They recorded LP records and donated all the proceeds to Camp Haccamo.

Every spring they would put on a musical show at the local high school. Since women weren't allowed to be members, all the parts were played by men, and that was one of the funniest parts of it all. They would have a performance on Friday night, on Saturday afternoon, and Saturday night. BUT unbeknownst to the public, they had another performance on Sunday afternoon just for the handicapped from all around. They would show up in their wheelchairs, with crutches, all kinds of adaptations. And the rotary club would perform the show just for them.

I know about this because I was always there. I got my sense of volunteerism from my mom.

What a wonderful way to learn how gratifying volunteerism is. And a wonderful thing to share with your mother.

Nice to see you getting out there even if you are doing it online.

True Atheists march crawl or wheel to freedom but they do not stagger insobrious stoned in selfish gluttony ....healthcare is a human right not pathway to wealth and political corruption

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.