Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Closing web browser windows doesn't close connections

Not the most technically sophisticated amongst us, does turning off the computer stop this?

Closing web browser windows doesn't close connections
March 17 2021 by Jeff Johnson
Support this blog: StopTheMadness, Link Unshortener, Underpass, PayPal.Me
Months ago I noticed something strange in the Little Snitch Network Monitor: Safari was still connecting to web sites after every window had been closed. At the time, I thought this was just a Safari bug. I brought the issue to the attention of some Safari engineers, who I had hoped would look into it. Since then, Safari has seen several software updates, and recently I remembered to check again to see whether the issue was resolved. Unfortunately I could still reproduce it, so I decided to investigate further. To my horror, I discovered that Chrome and Firefox were doing it too. That's too much a coincidence to be a bug, right? Could it be that web browsers are keeping open connections after windows are closed on purpose? If you don't have Little Snitch installed on the Mac (you should!), you can still see the open (ESTABLISHED) connections using the lsof (list open files) command-line tool in Terminal:

lsof -i TCP
You can also see the resulting web traffic by taking a packet trace with tcpdump or a GUI such as Wireshark.

My next thought was to compare regular browser windows with private (incognito) windows. And this made a world of difference! Closing the private window closed the connections associated with the window, in every browser. Thus, it seems pretty clear that this behavior must be intentional. Searching on the web, I found a very suggestive document about the Chrome networking stack:

Socket reuse: persistent TCP connections are retained in the socket pool for some time after servicing the request to enable connection reuse, which avoids the extra DNS, TCP, and SSL (if required) setup overhead imposed on each new connection.

Read more at the link

HippieChick58 9 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a problem with Chrome. I was getting bugs when I used Chrome. I erased Chrome...bugs stopped.

So this isn't only on Mac? You mentioned chrome and Firefox so I assume this happens on PC as well. I never use a computer, except to do my taxes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.