Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Why the latest shifts in American religiosity are so important

The number of Americans attending religious services and prioritizing faith is dropping. The societal impact is likely to be significant.

March 30, 2021, 9:38 AM CDT
By Steve Benen
Nearly halfway through Donald Trump's term, then-Vice President Mike Pence delivered a commencement at Hillsdale College, a conservative Christian college in Michigan of notable significance in Republican politics, with a specific message about religion.

Faith in America, Pence said, is becoming more robust. "I still believe with all my heart that faith in America is rising," he declared, adding, "Religion in America isn't receding -- just the opposite. Faith is gaining new life with every passing day." Pence added that even though the American population has grown considerably over the decades, the nation's religiosity "has remained remarkably consistent."

The former vice president will likely be disappointed by the latest evidence to the contrary. New York's Ed Kilgore took a closer look at the latest national Gallup survey.

"It's Holy Week for Christians and Passover for Jews; there are also two Hindu holidays this week. But as Gallup reports, the percentage of Americans who belong to houses of worship where such days in the religious calendar are observed has been rapidly falling in this century. For the first time since Gallup began compiling religious membership statistics in 1937 (when 73 percent of Americans belonged to a church, synagogue, mosque, or temple), a minority — only 47 percent — now say they belong to some sort of congregation."

HippieChick58 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those 2 jack ass' are reason for the decrease. Lying is the Repub way to get there way.

I look forward to the day when all the houses of worship go bankrupt.

I think much of the lack of attendance is because of the pandemic. I also think half the people in church at any given time have strong doubts on the existence of god. A small part of me wouldn't have minded of insurrectionists had gotten their hands on Mike Pence.

I would say the more recent lack of attendance is due to the pandemic, but the drop in church attendance has been building for many years. I remember discussing it when I was an active church member. We used to discuss the CE members as well, those who only showed up on Christmas and Easter. Part of it is kids in too many activities and both parents working, who has time to sit in church. The other part is who really believes this crapola. Mostly church was social networking before FB and other online platforms.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585951
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.