Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Why indoor spaces are still prime COVID hotspots

Risks shoot up when virus particles accumulate in buildings, but it’s not clear how best to improve ventilation.

When Lidia Morawska leaves home, she takes with her a slick, shoe-sized device that provides some sobering insights about the restaurants and offices she visits. Outside these buildings, her carbon dioxide monitor reads just above 400 parts per million (p.p.m.). But indoors is a different story.

Even in a seemingly spacious, high-ceilinged restaurant, the number sometimes shoots up as high as 2,000 p.p.m. — a sign that the room has poor ventilation and could pose a risk for COVID-19 infection. Visual cues can be deceptive, even for Morawska, an aerosol scientist from the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. “The general public has no idea about this,” she says.

The situation is no different inside cafes or kindergartens around much of the world, according to researchers who have wielded similar handheld CO2 meters. And that’s bad news for hopes of defeating the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for posting this. I have gotten a couple of "isn't that a bit OCD or you're just weird" looks or pregnant pauses when I say how very uncomfortable being indoors makes me feel. REALLY anxious actually.
I go for my second shot next week. I am hoping once I am fully vaccinated that anxiety level will go down because shopping is a fucking nightmare for me.

I get nervous when my clients want to meet me in an indoor location, when just steps away is a perfectly good outdoor spot. I guess they like the air conditioning. I keep my mask on, unless we're outdoors.

Open all the windows and crank up the fans.

@altschmerz Ventilation systems have motor that pushes the air through the system. Putting a motor with more power and RPMs into the system will move more air.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.