Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dead at 99 - CNN

Another dead royal. Nearly a century of privilege. Nothing to mourn. [independent.co.uk]

barjoe 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sad for the family

Of course it’s sad...especially for the Queen. He’s been at her side for 74 years!

@Marionville His death has been on the news here all day. It was said he had been hospitalized for heart problems but he died peacefully. It was also noted the queen is in good shape and is totally capable of continuing to rule as she has for decades. It will interesting to see when Charles takes over. Will this be the first time a king (besides Henry VIII ) has been divorced?

@JackPedigo If the Queen lives until she is as old as her mother that will another five years...and make her 100. Charles will of course be quite elderly himself at 78 when the Queen is 100 and it’s also conceivable that she may in fact outlive him and in that case he would never be king. However, it’s more likely that he will, as you say be only the second king to have been a divorcee. Like his great grandfather Edward VII his reign is destined to be pretty short because of the longevity of his mother.

@Marionville All this is very interesting and I do know the Edwardian era was a significant period despite his short reign. I am unfamiliar with the family lineage so who would be next in line after Charles?

@JackPedigo His elder son, Prince William.

@Marionville I should look him up to see what royal skeletons he has in his closet. LOL So if he ascends to the throne will he be King Willy or perhaps pick another name?

@JackPedigo I don’t really think he’s done anything to blot his copy book, he and his wife Kate seem to be a really nice young couple. I’d rather have them than his father and Camilla!

He wasn’t responsible for the views his sister held...he himself served in the Royal Navy during WW2 with great distinction, and was no Nazi sympathiser. It’s not his fault he was born royal...attack the system not the person, especially not on the day of his death. You’re American why would you be expected to mourn anyway...he had nothing to do with you or your country.

Not a fan of the Royal Family.

@barjoe It may surprise you to know that I’m not much of a royalist either, and think we in the UK need to seriously reform the monarchy. At the moment though, our Queen is our monarch and head of state and has served in that position in an exemplary way. I cannot see a President as a better choice for the UK as our monarch is apolitical, and although titular Head Of State, Parliament is actually the governing political body. When we removed Charles I and beheaded him for believing he was above parliament in 1649...from that day on the monarchy lost its real power. My own preference would be a seriously stripped back monarchy where the king or queen actually works, attends parliament weekly to be advised by the PM on parliamentary business and goes about the streets like an ordinary citizen...much in the way the Scandinavian monarchs do. It works well for them and the citizens there are the happiest in the world. However, I have no personal animosity towards the members of our British Royal Family or.envy their wealth or status at present, just that there are too many who are not in direct line who are merely privileged hangers-on, they need to be cut out completely. I’m not mourning the loss of Philip either but respect that others are, especially his wife, children and grandchildren.

@Marionville A lot of Americans fawn over the royal family. I think many of them wish we had a monarchy here. It disturbs me because our country was founded by overthrowing a tyrannical monarchy, George III. The news cycle in US is completely dominated by the life and death of Philip Mountbatten. I can't identify with the royal family in any way, even in their time of grief.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588277
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.