Agnostic.com

3 2

I would like to offer some words of advice to some women – particularly young women, no matter how pretty you are. Any mature woman with any sense of herself and of empathy, any woman secure in herself already knows what I am saying. And, what I am saying is also true for men.

You have no right to think that it is your significant other has any obligation to entertain you, to constantly regale you, to spend all of his time with you, doing only the things that you enjoy. If you are so shallow and empty that you cannot find things that you enjoy in and of yourself, you have a problem.

Each person has things that he or she enjoys and which are central to how we define ourselves. To ask the other to give up those things to concentrate on you is unreasonable and destructive to the relationship. The more reasonable and constructive way of dealing with this issue is to allow each other to engage in his or own constructive pursuits, while pursuing those things jointly which you both enjoy.

It is also unreasonable to expect your significant other to wrap himself around you with his entire existence. Each of us has different needs for privacy, different needs for solitary quiet time. Similarly, it is unreasonable
to expect your significant other to reveal all aspects of himself to your review while you try to keep some things hidden in order to dominate the relationship.

If you do engage in those destructive behaviors, you will never be happy. You will never be able to sustain a truly loving relationship over time. For your own good and for the benefit of your significant other, wise up while you can.

wordywalt 9 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of a few reasons why I remain single and probably will. Every man that attempts to get further than a few dates with me shows these signs and it's a complete deal breaker with me. I need my own space and I'm good with myself as I am.

Are you writing for "Seventeen" Magazine now?

And vice versa, women are under NO obligation to continually entertain the men in their lives. Each gender should have their own interests and expect you to have yours. It makes our time together more meaningful. I am slightly disturbed, @wordywalt that you have given this such a gendered slant. People ARE. Your posting could and should be aimed at everyone, not just younger ladies. My daughters had boyfriend who could not stand to be alone, like freaking leaches. Only small children need constant attention from others, and that lasts for less than 5 years. I've met a few men who needed constant hand holding, it was an absolute deal breaker. Never, ever tell me you're bored. When my kids did that I found unpleasant chores for them. They learned really fast how to entertain themselves. In fact from a young age my oldest was so good at doing her own thing. She had books, puzzles, dolls, paper and crayons; she'd be in her room for hours having a great time. Then she would come out with a pile of books, we'd read them, and then she headed back to her room, she had her fill of attention. I am great with my own company, so much that I may never be able to have another person living with me. Not that there are any volunteers at this time.

I agre with your critique. Both males and females can show such negative behavior. In my own personal experience, I have seen more women showing the behavior thabn men. However, I am more than willing to say that there are too damned many arrogent, self-absorbed men, as well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.