Agnostic.com

9 22

Today's hike: Struggling to take photos with my phone.

Today Karen and I hiked to a high meadow above Squilchuck State Park. In shade, the steep trail was slippery with snow. To our surprise, the sunny meadow was full of wildflowers! The meadow was still damp from melted snow.

We hiked seven miles total with about a thousand feet of elevation gain. Saw lots of fresh elk poop. Elk must sleep in the woods we walked through. A beautiful loop. Thank you, Karen!

For the first time, I tried taking photos of wildflowers with my smartphone. Took a lot of duds. It was windy, making flowers dance wildly. Blurry pics.

With years of experience, Karen excels in taking closeups of flowers with her IPhone.

"The beginner beat the teacher," Karen said when I showed her my best photo (Photo #1).

1. Widow Grass and Sage Buttercup by me.

2. Shooting Stars by Karen. What a stunner!

3. Larkspur by Karen.

4. Spring Beauties by Karen.

5. Glacier Lilies by Karen.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The flower

Love your photos. Such vivid colours. Here is a flower pic on a hike I did last week

Beautiful flowers...yeah the purple flower in #1 looks like it is getting nailed...😛😂😹..."Oh DO ME with your hairy Stamen"...😂😂sorry all I could hear was Robin Williams Live at the Met...😂😂😂

@phoenixone1

Hilarious! Thanks for the belly laugh.

No idea what's happening with the purple flower.
They're all pretty though.

@BudFrank, @bobwjr, @Larimar, @anglophone, @Hankster, @freedom41, @t1nick, @KKGator, @Organist1, @Lauren, @HippieChick58, @RichCC, @wordywalt, @Bethi, @DarwinGal

With photo #1 that I took, what is going on with the center of the purple flower? Is that how it spreads? Or is the stem on the left gathering pollen from the pistils?

I've never seen anything like it. Wish I had bent down and looked at the stems.

My guess is the flower bud on the left is going to open up similar to the flower on the right. It looks like the main stem of the flower is right under that bud. I have no idea what it is called.

@HippieChick58

Agreed. Good point.

@HippieChick58 this is correct....

They all look great!

Beautiful shots

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 19, 2021

In my garden today but more apt to be in your area. Red columbine. They're enormous this year

@Larimar

I love Columbine flowers! These are Mountain Columbine. I took the center photo on the Pacific Crest trail, Washington State.

@LiterateHiker I love them also, I've let these self seed the whole time I've been here from like 4 seeds when I first moved in. I'm going to be taking a ton of seed with me when I go at the end of next month. 😀 It's been a rental house....four years is enough.

Those are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.