Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Remembering Walter Mondale’s Stirring Defense of Church/State Separation | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Back in 1984, Mondale was adamant about the separation of church and state while Ronald Reagan was all cozy with religious leaders.

snytiger6 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Freedom from religious persecution may have been left bleeding two months later. It's death continues today. And so it goes.

Mondale was a true statesman. Awesome share!

In the 60's, a political generation before Reagan's infamous love fest with the so-called Moral Majority, another statesman who happened to be a Republican espoused the following prescient viewpoint:
"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Senator Barry Goldwater, Jr. 1964

And then even after his retirement, when the Republican party had decided to hop into bed with the evangelical Christians, ol' Barry said this:
"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the nuts."
Barry Goldwater, Jr. 1981

How different things would be if the Liberals had showed up more at the poles.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590771
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.