Agnostic.com

9 15

Stretching to Fit.

I'm making curtains for my daughter's guest room. The fabric is a loose weave. It's hard to make a rectangle with all sides even. Not like wood.

After finishing the edges, I discovered three curtain sides were 37 inches long and one was 35.5 inches long. I need every inch I can get.

Started stretching the short edge by hanging weights on the fabric. It didn't work. Then I realized my stitches and edge tape prevented the fabric from stretching. Hello, seam ripper. We meet again.

After two hours, it's working! The short side is now 36.25 inches long. Meanwhile, I'll make 16 loops for the curtain rod. Bah! It didn't stretch enough.

Claire confirmed the window is 36 inches high. That's a relief.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@OldMetalHead, @Paddypereira, @HippieChick58, @BudFrank, @BufftonBeotch, @anglophone, @Lorajay, @GeorgeRocheleau, @dpk93, @mistymoon77, @RichCC, @CuddyCruiser, @Detritus, @skyline, @bobwjr, @Robert_2001, @Hankster, @Larimar

Yesterday I went to Joanne's Fabrics. They had the same fabric. Needed more fabric to make curtain loops.

"Would you like this more-than-a-yard fabric for half off?" the cutting lady asked as she came to the end of the bolt. "It will cost about $12."

"Yes, thank you!" I replied happily. Decided to stop struggling with the too-short curtain. Will use it to make 16 curtain loops.

Today I will make a new curtain with the new fabric. It's four inches too long.

I can work with that.

Great solution!

Great stuff!!!

Nicely done. 🙂

I would have probably just added an interesting trim to the bottom.

But if you got got results you wanted I am elated for you.

@BufftonBeotch

Great idea! Will keep that in mind for future sewing projects.

@LiterateHiker There is such pretty trimming out there. A little ruffle with some daisies or some paisley would be a cute touch.

The mind doth boggle!

You got taller?

The fabric is a loose weave. Not like wood.

It is hard to make a rectangle with all side exactly the same.

Great job

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 26, 2021

Great idea! I would probably give up. But then it’s not carpentry or electrical, which I do better at

I make quilts, and I cannot count the number of times I've estimated yardage and come up short. I hate it when that happens. Good luck stretching that fabric out. I can't do that with the fabrics I use. Always, always, always remember: Measure twice, cut once.

i don't know much about bdsm, but i would certainly tuck tail and hide when the iron came out.

I've use stretcher bars before for similar reasons. But I have them handy because I use them for other things. Whenever I get my own house, I'm putting up my loom again and making a navajo rug. I learned how on the reservation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.