Agnostic.com

59 5

Thoughts on people who claim not to be religious but still believe in Jesus/god/sin/heaven etc?

Met a few people who say this and I know there are different schools of thought on this topic. Thoughts? Can you believe and not be 'religious'?

loloworonuk 3 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Too me religion is a construct created by people for control. Now control like all things has a wide expanse of intent and result. Not all bad. Humans need controls to exist in a healthy way. Automatic controls like breathing, metabolism etc. Voluntary controls like not attacking people, social mores to allow for positive interactions and protection for the least among us. Too me religion has two sides; community and exclusion. The first is good but the second that is were it all goes wrong. Humans need contrast to find meaning and the most vile form of contrast is the various ways we alter our perception of other humans as non or less then human. Right now in America many of us have chosen to do this in relation to immigrants from various Central American nations. Some use religion as a justification, other Nationalism. Can you believe in a God, Jesus, Buddah, Allah and not be religious? For me the more accurate question is can you believe in such things and not require others to share your belief? I think yes. Many ground level believers use it as a personal way to find meaning in a world that for the most part does not care about them. Religion requires a community of like minded people. Belief can and is quite often personal and exclusive to a person. Interestingly I have encountered what to me is the same level of contempt from both the religious and the anti-religious in relation to a singular believer. One insists their belief trumps yours, the other insists their reality does the same. Both I feel are wrong. Too me the real question is the result of ones belief. If you use it too inflict pain and seek control over others for personal gain then I think that is wrong. If you use it to construct a mental state to deal in a positive way with the world and ones self then I think it can be positive. A woman asked me if I believed in God and I replied, Who's? At the end of the day what you do matters. Why you do it is quite often very personal and if its based on belief in a God/Goddess etc. more power to you if you act with reason, thought and care and accomplish positive things. Saying you cannot believe without being dogmatic is like saying you cannot be proud of ones Nation without being a fascist or rabid Nationalist. Or you cannot take pride in ones heritage without being racist.

Quarm Level 6 Mar 3, 2019

In my reading of the NT I see a man who preaches a more loving aspect of god than that which was orthodox at the time. When I look at modern day day religions which are supposed to follow the teachings of this man, I see deviations from his teachings, and bits and pieces added on.
So if I were to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ to the letter, I could still call myself a Christian, but would find it hard to identify with any religion. I would be able to call myself a believer but claim not to be religious. I would be interested to know if anyone knows of a religion, cult etc that could truly call themselves Christian.

I believe in God but am not in an organized religion.

Roley Level 5 Nov 7, 2018

These people are confused....the ones who don't go to church but still believe are hypocrites.

Haha ya the "not practicing " but still believe in the invisible man in the sky.

No I honestly don't think I ever met anyone like this but England is a very godless island.

Well where do they think those ideas come from? Organized Religions. I think they just want to make themselves sound more credible.

It is semantics. Maybe they say they are not "religious" because they think they have a "personal relationship" with the invisible man in the sky. These are often the pious. By most people's definition they are religious. Though their piety, delusional thinking, and self-rightousness leads them to think that they are something beyond that...

Just in case? Or they find some confirmation to their bias in it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.