Agnostic.com

7 6

LINK North Carolina minimum marriage age rises to 16 in bill OK’d by Senate

Some lawmakers were unhappy with this, stating the legal age for consent to marry should remain at 14.

#wtf

SeaGreenEyez 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A my bar-owning friend remarked.
"Marriage takes place when a woman decides to make one man miserable, instead of making many men happy."

Better than nothing but not enough

Times change.
In mediaeval times many girls married at 12.
After all, by the time they were 14 they were half way through their expected life!

toothless hillbillies

I live in N.C. I have all my teeth (even so called wisdom teeth). I didn't get married until I was 38, and I married a woman who was 36 at the time.

By the time I got married all my male friends had been married and divorced at least once.

All people who live in N.C. are not toothless hillbillys. In fact the State is rapidly turning Blue.

@Alienbeing That would not include those lawmakers trying to marry off their 14 year old daughter.

@barjoe Yea, well our State Senate has problems.

@Alienbeing A State Senate that represents "toothless hillbillies", an expression. This is a segment of the NC population. Pennsylvania, my state, has their share of bumpkin yokels as well, who may or may not have a full set of teeth. I don't know about 14 year old brides, maybe the Amish.

@barjoe Actually I don't see where our State Senate represents anyone except themselves. I truly can't understand what they are thinking.

@Alienbeing Somebody elected them. I'm sure none of those State Senators married a 14 year old, nor did their children. Their constituency has and in some cases still do, hence their opposition to this minimum marriage age bill.

@barjoe The larger population areas here are Democratic. Rural areas are Republican. The larger population areas are growing quickly. Things will change quickly.

Cause Jebus laked'em yuuuuuong!..

There sure is a strong connection between the religious nutters and interest in young children, particularly female young children. What amazes me is nothing about the whole thing has changed in thousands of years. I use to think it was money talks but some of these people are dirt poor and ignorant and it is just a level of ignorance the money people are the really evil ones.

Surely you mean Mohammed?
At around 50 years old he married 9 year old Aisha.

@Petter In this case, these are Xtians. Muslims are just as fucked up tho. More so.

@barjoe kinda like Hasidics, eh?

@Charlene Them too as far as being fucked up. About marrying 12 year olds, I don't know.

Same people objecting to this no doubt scream about Muslim forced child marriages. Even 16 is wrong, 18 at bare minimum. Sadly forced child marriage is all too common in the US still.

Bunch of paedophiles

bobwjr Level 10 May 15, 2021

No, it's the Extremist Christian "Woman should be kept barefoot and pregnant and completely subservient to their husband." Once once thinks that way, it's a logical extension to think that they should start as young as possible. Though yes, hebephilia and ephebophilia are part of this toxic mix, you're not wrong.

@Druvius nope they are paedophiles, if you want to marry a 14 year old that is what you are.

@LenHazell53 In the vulgar sense, yes. Technically they are hebephiles. Just as disgusting.

@Druvius Just a euphemism, the definition of a child is societal and cultural not lexicographical, but if it makes you less pedantic I'll just call them filthy child fuckers for the purposes of clarity of intent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:596820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.