Agnostic.com

4 28

Today's hike: A tiny jewel of a flower.

"These sure are beautiful trails," a man on a mountain bike stopped to say. Immediately I knew he was from Seattle. Local people would never say that. Yes, he was from Seattle.

"Don't tell your friends in Seattle about Squilchuck State Park," Karen said. "This is our favorite hike near town. We don't want it overcrowded."

As we descended, Karen stopped and gasped. She dropped to her knees. "You won't believe it, Kathleen!" she called. "Look what I found!"

"Wow, a Calypso orchid!" I said, gobsmacked. "I can't believe you spotted such a tiny flower. I thought it was too arid here for Calypso orchids."

"This is a moist spot," Karen replied. She stood up and looked around. "Why aren't there more nearby? This is the only one."

In 45 years of hiking, I have only seen these tiny orchids once before. They bloom for just a week. A rare jewel in North Central Washington.

Photos:

1. Calypso orchid, taken in 2013.

2. To show how tiny it is, here's Karen with the Calypso orchid.

3. Meadows were carpeted with yellow Balsamroot flowers that were sacred to the Wenatchii native tribe.

LiterateHiker 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another beautiful hike. Amazing scenery. Here are some flowers I have come across recently on a few hikes I have been on

@RoyMillar

You forgot to post pictures of the flowers.

@LiterateHiker

@LiterateHiker \tried s few times but they would not post

Wonderful find!

Wow! That is tiny, it's a good thing Karen is so observant. It's such a beautiful flower.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful flower.

@xenoview

You're welcome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597257
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.