Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Letters From An American 05/17/2021

Hi folks: This apparently only went out to a few people last night. I’m sending again in hopes it does better this time around:

I’m wiped out from grading, but I wanted to note that on this day in 1954, the Supreme Court handed down the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, decision, declaring racial segregation in public schools unconstitutional. A unanimous court decided that segregation denied Black children the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1868 in the wake of the Civil War. Brown v. Board was a turning point in establishing the principle of racial equality in modern America.

Since the 1860s, we have recognized that equality depends upon ensuring that all Americans have a right to protect their own interests by having a say in their government.

Today, that principle is under attack.

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson urged Congress to pass the Voting Rights Act to “help rid the Nation of racial discrimination in every aspect of the electoral process and thereby insure the right of all to vote.” And yet, in 2013, the Supreme Court gutted that law, and in the wake of the 2020 election in which voters gave Democrats control of the government, Republican-dominated states across the country are passing voter suppression laws.

Today, Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) begged their colleagues to reinstate the Voting Rights Act. In 2006 a routine reauthorization of the law got through the Senate with a vote of 98-0; now it is not clear it can get even the ten Republican votes it will need to get through the Senate, so long as the filibuster remains intact.

But here’s the thing: Once you give up the principle of equality before the law, you have given up the whole game. You have admitted the principle that people are unequal, and that some people are better than others. Once you have replaced the principle of equality with the idea that humans are unequal, you have granted your approval to the idea of rulers and servants. At that point, all you can do is to hope that no one in power decides that you belong in one of the lesser groups.

In 1858, Abraham Lincoln, then a candidate for the Senate, warned that arguments limiting American equality to white men and excluding black Americans were the same arguments “that kings have made for enslaving the people in all ages of the world…. Turn in whatever way you will—whether it come from the mouth of a King, an excuse for enslaving the people of his country, or from the mouth of men of one race as a reason for enslaving the men of another race, it is all the same old serpent.” Either people—men, in his day—were equal, or they were not.

Lincoln went on, “I should like to know if taking this old Declaration of Independence, which declares that all men are equal upon principle and making exceptions to it… where will it stop?”

HippieChick58 9 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seventh paragraph down, it begins with "But here's the thing . . ."
Chilled me to the bone. We have far too many elected officials now claiming only certain people should be able to vote and are actively working to ensure the people they do not want voting are kept away from the polls. IMHO not nearly enough is being done by the elected officials that claim to want to allow equal rights to vote for all.
Reauthorization of the voting rights act will not stop big money or gerrymandering. Frankly the filibuster needs to go.

I agree. The necessary elimination of the filibuster asap should be glaringly obvious to all politicians who really care about 'the principle of equality before the law'. They should be standing up en masse to drag the filibuster to the chopping block to weaken the widespread ideology that 'rulers and servants' is the only social system that functions. The cheap, ugly lie that social democracy is the same as communism must exposed for what it is -- an ideology that believes inequality is reality.

Well said

bobwjr Level 10 May 18, 2021

So well stated !

Thank you for posting.

My pleasure!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.