Agnostic.com

4 5

LINK Texas Becomes Third State To Pass Free-Range Kids Law – Reason.com

It looks like some sanity has arrived.

Hats off to Texas: Over the weekend, it became the third U.S. state, after Utah and Oklahoma, to make reasonable childhood independence the law of the land. Now parents who live there cannot be investigated for neglect simply for giving their kids some -fashioned freedom.

Amazingly, the bill became law on the th anniversary of "Take Our Children to the Park and Leave Them There Day," a holiday created by Free-Range Kids and once considered so wacky—so dangerous—that it was splashed across the pages of The New York Daily News. The paper quoted the of an eight-year-, saying: "Never in a million years would I do something that . When the kid turns 18—fine. Until then you watch them." And it spoke to an "expert"—the chief psychologist at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn—who said that "a seven-year- shouldn't be left alone in a backyard, much less a park."

Too bad for that shrink. When the Texas law goes into effect in September, more than one tenth of all Americans will live laws passed with the help of Let Grow, the nonprofit that grew out of Free-Range Kids, that insists our kids are smarter and safer than our cowering culture gives them credit for.

HippieChick58 9 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope the population of pedifiles moves to these states so that the rest of us are safer.

Of course, free range paedophiles is very small. Too few targets so a form of herd immunity applies. Most get jobs like pastors, doctors, etc where they get free authority-endowed access to the children.

because they don't want to raise free-range chickens. cage free kids?

If you left a toddler unattended in my city, that kid would be on a milk carton by the end of the day. I remember a European women left a baby carriage outside of a store, went in and did her shopping. In what alternate universe is that not parental neglect? [reuters.com]

Hooray for Texas!

It's not often that I get to say those words.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597671
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.