Agnostic.com

11 18

God and Narcisisism

It just occurred to me that - isn't worshiping God in our own image rather narcissistic? Is Christianity simply a narcissistic melee?

think-beyond 7 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha well what do you write to a ppl convinced that they might attain the Elysian Fields, after all; certainly you would have to appeal to their narcissism, while also hiding wisdom from the wise?

So, i think this is all encoded in the Esau/Jacob story, wherein Jacob gets the birthright, supposedly, but we see that Esau is the one who really inherits? It was Jacob that left, right?

They created God in our image. This is why he is insecure, jealous, and vengeful. In other words a fucking mess just like humanity.

Oh my goodness! Are you suggesting that Man created god in His own image? My my! Whatever next?

that is a very interesting thought and i would have to agree with it

might i add the said narcissistic melee is a common occurrence in the book

it occurred to me the other day that the bible may have been written as a joke

It was written by stupendously ignorance "sheep herders", who often would not travel over ten miles from their birth location in their lifetime. They were the original flat earthers. Not the sort of chaps I would choose to write a world history book of wisdom.

They'd almost certainly be surprised people bought into it and still read it. Kind of read it,,,

“it occurred to me the other day that the bible may have been written as a joke”
you are close to something here i think, imagine trying to bring someone convinced of their own immortality into a more realistic pov. The Bible puts it as “black and white,” suggesting that one should turn into the other somehow. Hence vv like no son of man may die for another’s sins, no one has ever gone up to heaven, there is only One Immortal...

@Healthydoc70 fishermen were chosen as disciples for a reason i guess, but to say that the Bible was written by unlettered men is crap, sorry. They were the equivalents of what we would deem “doctors of...” now, except for the mythologies that were just repackaged, the epic of Gilgamesh, etc.

Hopefully even conflating “written” with “stupendously ignorant sheep-herders” makes that obvious

I can go months in solitude and not having god on my mind. Then some Stranger here or over there will mention god regardless the reason, just drop it.

ha well then one might ask wtf are you doing on an “agnostic” site

God made man in his own image
and man
Being a gentleman, returned the compliment

Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee,
Inherit the Wind 1955

i guess if you mean cult of sol invictus--what Christianity has turned into--then ya. But i'm seeing plenty of evidence that that wasn't what was intended, and there is (obviously) a better path, delineated in the bible, imo anyway
"The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible" SClemens

Also: “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” - Isaac Asimov.

In a word,

It depends on how you view Christianity. That most Evangelicals in the USA see Jesus as a white man rather a man of Middle Eastern appearance (i.e. much darker skinned) would lend weight to the idea of narcissism.

My own view is that Christianity belongs in the same rubbish bin as Judaism, Islam and Akhenatenism.

(Now, where is my bowl of Flying Spaghetti Monster? Also, where is my Holy Colander?)

mostly narcissistic nonsense.

Pretty much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.