Agnostic.com

5 5

I am so worried about a family of crows that live at my office.
It all started about a week ago when I bought some food from the lunch truck and accidental dropped a large chunk of my burger on the ground under the pines that separate the sidewalk next to our building from the road.
A couple of days later I saw a couple of crows hanging out where I had dropped the food so I started leaving a little on purpose for them.
Then one morning the crows would keep to the lower branches and caw at me as if demanding food. So I started thinking I was making contact, typical Willow hubris.
As it turns out there's a grounded crow there and the two that keep cawing at me are trying to get me to chase them so they can lead me away from their child, or to warn the young crow to get away from me.
It's about 75% of the size of it's parents and the crows are obviously suffering from extreme emotional turmoil over it's predicament. I wish I could help them but fear any contact will just stress them more, the young one looks as if it were a bit wounded, perhaps it flew into a passing car? I don't know. It's mobile enough to watch for traffic and hop across the street to avoid me. I've named them so I'm screwed emotionally, it's Rufus and Chaka Khan and Junior.
I just wish there was something I could do beyond leaving food where Junior can get it.

Willow_Wisp 8 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Okay, I had this on my mind all night, so I started Googling (my favorite middle-of-the-night activity these days), and it turns out everything will most likely be alright. According to Audubon Portland, some species of birds - crows included - leave the nest and spend as much as a week on the ground before flying, so perhaps they're a bit wounded from a tumble?

So your care and concern, and perhaps a few nibbles, may be all that's needed unless it goes beyond a week? Then you may have a friend for life.

I gave them a bag of unsalted cashews this morning.
I didn't stick around, so maybe squirrels got many of them.
I just came back from checking and the ground is clean where I poured the bag out.

@Willow_Wisp That sounds perfect so far. Crows can be pretty aggressive so if Rufus and Chaka Khan are around, I'll bet they can take on some squirrels until Junior finishes up your offering.

Crows are very intelligent and they do recognize one human from the next. So, they may well be trying to communicate. If you want to feed them, get some bird seed...fast food is not good for them (or humans). Junior is going to be in trouble if a cat spots him.

I'll get them a bag of unsalted roasted peanuts still in the shell, somehow I've never met a crow that doesn't like them, meal worms are to much of a hassle to deal with.

@Willow_Wisp Had a neighbor in So. Cal. who left out unshelled peanuts out for the squirrels. The squirrels planted them in my flower beds. Very annoying.

@MsKathleen If they're roasted they won't sprout.

@Willow_Wisp Obviously, they weren’t.

Leaving food is doing an awful lot. Young birds often fly into cars and windows, but they do usually recover especially if the parents are still there. Don't be temped to pick it up though, because not only will it perhaps do more harm than good, but also because crows can recognize individual humans, and pass the knowledge on culturally, so if you touch a young one you are marked for life.

Damn it, the photo came in sideways, but that's junior.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.