Agnostic.com

5 2

Objectivism in the freethinking community

I figure this can provoke interesting responses but what are thoughts on this? It is based on rational thinking and accepting an objective reality and discards religion as a result. Despite eye-rolling from some at the mention of Ayn Rand, this goes hand-in-hand with science and free thinking. My opinion should be clear and curious to what others may think.

JohnGalt917 5 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a good response to Ayn Rand's philosophy of selfishness:
“Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. And you cannot turn away. Your destiny is bound with the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors.”
― Andrew Boyd

I do not share Rands dystopian view of humanity where people exist in stratified personalities and views as if only one is valid and the rest a burden on society. The very last thing Rand displayed was rational thought.

Anyone who has seriously read and analyzed Ayn Rand's work knows that her name cannot be seriously associated with real objectivity.

A simplistic philosophy - attractive to the young and naive. Many go through that phase, most thankfully grow out of it.

Eye rollers be damned. Objectivism as a means of understanding the world and ones place in it is incredibly compelling to me. As Ayn Rand once said “You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality”. An objective world view goes hand in hand with secular, humanist, and non-religious world views, in my opinion. Once you reject your rational mind and observational powers you very quickly devolve into a state of corruption, be it political, religious, social, mental or economic.

Eray Level 3 Apr 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60012
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.